DOT regulations In PA

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jpeg lawn maintenance, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Jpeg lawn maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys I been looking around for information on this DOT situation. I want to know I am in PA and I have a 3500 dump with a 12k gvrw and I am pulling a trailing with A 6990 gvrw What all do I need to be legal in PA I have talked to 2 cops and DMv and get different answers from everyone. Thanks in advance!! Any help would be great already getting my PA contractors license for the side so that is not an issue! Thanks again

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

You will continue to get different answers from everyone you talk to...especially every cop. Here is what you need as far I understand it.... I have been trying to gather info lately to make sure I'm 100% in compliance myself. They sure don't make it easy...

You will need a DOT# posted on the truck because its a commercial truck over 10,000 LBS

Because your combo is over 17,000 LBS you will need the following-

Medical card
    Fire extinguisher
    Safety triangles
    Extra fuses

I could be forgetting something.

3. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Thanks alot for the information! they do make it a real PITA they want everyone to be legit but its hard to find out HOW to be legit.

4. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Evan OR anyone Can you direct me where to go to get a DOT number online or a local place. Thanks in advance.

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

6. Jpeg lawn maintenance

I just did that step by step thing IT says I do not need to register ? maybe I selected something wrong?

7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Jeremy, you don't need to register.

In PA, you don't need DOT numbers over 10k gvw, unless you're going out of state for business. But that's a Federal law, not a PA reg.

Some construction and larger Landscape companies have DOT numbers because they do work in Ohio or WV. But I see dozens upon dozens of single and tandem axle dumps and trailers with no DOT numbers because they're only working in PA.

8. ColvinsPS

ColvinsPS LawnSite Member

I would like to know as well because i run a f350 dump with 11kgvw and i think my trailer is a 7k or 10k not sure. I know it isn't over 10k.

Jpeg what is the contractor's license and who is required to have one? I would like to know if i should have one of those too?

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

A PA Home Improvement Contractor's License (PA HIC) is required if you do jobs over $500 in "home improvement," including but not limited to landscape installs, walls, patios, walks, etc.

It is not required for maintenance like mulching or grass cutting or pruning.

10. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Tim how sure are you I do not need this ?

And Colvin the contractor number your suppose to register in PA to let them know your a legit buisness type in pa contractor liscense in goole and it will direct you to read about it. ITs only 50 dollars.