dot#'s in nj

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SimonCX, Oct 17, 2007.

1. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I see on fmcsa website nj commerical trucks over 10,000 gvw now need a dot number. I called last year and they said I didn't need it, I guess that changed. Anyone e-file with fmcsa before, how long does it take?

2. SimonCX

Ok now I am confused, on the map they show it shows nj needs dot numbers because it's the green color, but when I tried to file with the online help it states I don't need a dot number because nj is not on the list of states that require dot numbers? Anyone know if it is required or not?

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

This is on the truck alone correct? I'm getting a 2500hd soon and the gvwr is 9200lbs. I think i'm good right?

4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

So the nj law says you need to display the gvw # only if its over 10k?

my F150 has 12k and my F350 has 19k to accommodate the trailers, i can go plenty over that though :p

thats the only DOT number your talking about right?

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I did it's free answer the questions are confusing but you need a credit card for verifying and you have a number after you hit submit and approved .Nothing goes on your card.

6. SimonCX

No, I'm actually talking about the federal dot numbers. The info is at http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/ but I still can't get a straight answer from anyone about it. I called the dmv and they don't have a clue, if you go to the step by step register and look at the map it shows nj in the green color which looks like you need the dot number. But when you try to file online and you pick nj and intrastate it tells you you don't need it. Hopefully I get a chance to call dot and get someone that knows what there talking about. I really don't want to be stopped and ticketed for not having a dot number, also I have been seeing the dot with state police inspecting trucks in the area alot in the last month.

7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

The number are the same Mine for ex. is USDot12345NY the only difference is yours in NJ And it is anything over 10,001# It's free so it won't hurt to have one.

8. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

No. you need to display what the truck is registered at, Back in the day, my company truck had a GVW of 8.5k but displayed 7k. But if NJDOT weighs you and you are over the registered weight, you get a ticket, even if you are under the GVW.
    When I worked for TrueGreen, all there trucks displayed the DOT numbers and there registered weight. which was the GVW plus the weight of the trailer they pulled fully loaded.
    Confused ? Me too, Jersey has some flaky MV laws. Diesels over 12.5k do not need to be inspected for emission, but under that and they need to be inspected. For trucks over 26001 k you need a CDL, but under that you still need to get a phyiscal for commercial trucks that carry a DOT number, so that was what I was told by TrueGreen mtg. And the funny thing is, even the State Police don't really know. :confused:

ericg likes this.
  9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

yeah this is the first im hearing of all this. I mainly "thought" all the DOT required stickers were for commercial haulters, 18 wheeler big rigs, or anything over 26k or air brakes. Ive been looking in the last week and i have not seen any smaller trucks like GM 3500s, f350s, f550 dumps even from big and small landscape CO.'s that have DOT stickers, unless theyre so small i cant see them.

All i know is PA works weights differnt, i drove my newly registered F350 4 days after i increased my GVW to 19k down the PA turnpike about 20 miles, ez pass worked goign there fine, was a $2.30 toll i think.

Comming back, after picking up a 60lb TV in the back, ez pass doesnt work exiting into NJ... I get a ticket in the mail, you know the ones that say $2 toll and $25 admin fee, well this one said $21 toll and $25 admin fee. They charged me a class 4 ticket fee for the toll for 19k! WTF? i was pulling nothing and was only 8k in weight or less. 19,0001 would have been class 5!

I damn sure make sure that ez pass works now, its probably because theyre all registered to my cars and now after i know the price will increase more than quadruple, theres no way im going ez pass commercial.

10. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

back in the day when I worked for a LCO, Penndot would sit at the end of the PA Turnpike and stop just about ever truck with Jersey tags. Also Jersey dot would be set up on the Betsy Ross or the Tycony or up in Willingboro along Rt 130. But that was 10/15 years ago so I don't know if they still do that crap. Either way, just get your truck right and they won't be able to shut you down.

ericg likes this.