Dot #`s On The Truck And Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 2stroke, Oct 14, 2007.

1. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME ABOUT THE LAWS FOR NEEDING TO DISPLAY THESE #`S on my truck and trailer. any links would be helpfull. im in Co.

2. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

csp.state.co.us/downloads/mcsap_intrastateusdotapp06.pdf

This should help, if not go to the CSP website, you will only need DOT numbers if your truck and trailer have a combined gvwr over 10.000 lbs, Steve

3. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, the law is the DOT guys are a huge bunch of #$%#$%'s.

They love to set up the traps and pull you over then try to burn up as much of your time possible. It is an ego thing for them class A jerks.

Basically I went down to the State Patrol office by Mcdonalds in Fruita and got the application for a DOT number. You fill it out, fax it and they send back your number. You may as well get it done. they've been harrassing hard working guys trying to make a living for several years now.... at least I'm not bitter! :)

Give me an e-mail if you want more info...

4. outlaw1960

from denver

LOL, you are right on the money Currier. The DOT guy in Englewood has issues. There was a post on this site about 5-6 months ago and his name(printable ones) showed up. Make sure you have all your safety equipment also, if not, BIG fines. I was in a line where thay pulled every commercial and trailer towing vehicle over. I was stuck for over an hour, I was in compliance and the jerk still had two different officers reinspect my rig. I don't take c470 to Santa Fe anymore.

5. 2stroke

thanx guys. i drive a 1 ton SRW and also drive a 3/4 ton with a 3500# enclosed trailer.

6. 2stroke

what safty equiptment is needed?

7. Currier

The only safety equipement is the basics you already have....working lights breakaway chains trailer brakes. The first time we got pulled over he wanted to see some periodic "inspection report" I have no idea what it was. The last few years the main thing they have wanted to see is the SMM tags on the lawnmowers (Walkers) we haul two of them on a 16 ft. trailer pulled by an F-350.

Supossedly he told one of my guys that one ton dually requires DOT info while a smaller 3/4 ton doesn't. I've also heard that ONE mower being hauled doesn't need the SMM tag but more than one requires all are tagged. (get the tags at the Fruita motor vehicle division. Less waiting, you just need your purchase information).

At one time we had heard that no business name on your vehicle meant you were safe but during the past two years it looks like they are pulling over any and everyone hauling any sort of trailer.

8. outlaw1960

from denver

If you are over 10k, you must display a company name, and Dot number. In my case the trailer put me over the limit and I was able to put the signage on the trailer. As far as saftey equipment, fire extinguisher, saftey triangles, flares.....I am sure others will chime in, I know I forgot some things.

Currier, what does SMM stand for?

9. Currier

SMM is for "small motorized machine." It is a little black and red sticker that you are to put on any equipement over a certain weight. One of my air compressors has an SMM license plate, which looks like a normal plate but says SMM on the side. The Walkers have the little black and red sticker. Last time we were pulled over he said "we'll let you go as soon as we see your SMM stickers..."

No one, not even our dealer, had a clue that a lawnmower would need to have a registration and a SMM. Basically its just another way to get $$ out of the working man.

10. outlaw1960

from denver

wow, those DOT guys are nuts. I guess my z's would need them also, but they have never brought that up, and I have been pulled over 4 times.