1. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

Do I need to have dot stickers on my truck? I have a f150 and 61/2 X 12 ft trailer that i use to pull my mowers. I live in michigan right on the state line of indiana so I travel into indiana to work to. Some guy pulled me over today and was lecturing me about how I better get some dot stickers on my truck I did not know I had to have them I thought it was just for bigger trucks. I have my class b cdl and physical card already, im just not sure about the dot stickers?

2. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you need your company name and dot# (not stickers) on both sides of your vehicle and/or trailer. MI law requires them to be above the bottom edge of your door.

3. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

If its a commercial truck crossing state lines you will need one, but if you stay in Michigan no you don't need one. Your not heavy enough.:)

4. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

you need the dot # regardless of weight because you carry haz. mat. ( anything more than 1 gal of gas they consider haz mat) Your excluded from over packings and shipping papers due to the MOTS rules. You also need 3 safety triangles, a 10bc fire extinguisher, and your med card.

5. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

Only if you travel out of state.

6. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info

7. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

Even if you stay in state (intrastate) you need everything I listed. They changed the law.

8. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

BISHOP- You do need a DOT number if your GCWR is over 10,000 pounds. So he will need one in MI regardless if he crosses state lines or not. You have until Jan 08 to apply and it will be enforced Jan 09. But it currently is a law.

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

d&r is correct. DOT # is needed for any vehicle and trailer in excess of 10,001 # in MI. It doesn't take much to exceed it. A 3/4 ton and a 2k trailer and you are over. I hope the state enforces it. I see MANY landscape (I'll use the term loosely) companies without them, especially the newbies that have flocked on to the scene lately.

10. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

man you all have some tuff laws.lets say you have a nice truck and trailer and you just load up to go cut moms yard and stuff do you all still have to have all that?