Double- Aeration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn DOG, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

When we areate lawns we have one person aerate in one direction while another aerates in the other so we cross each others work. This does two things. It eliminates missed spots and creates a very vigorous aeration. I like to refer to as a double-aeration. We have great results. I was wondering how many of you do this or would you charge double for this since you are doing extra work.
  2. Sounds like a lot of work to me

BTW I use a tow aerater and run in circles till I hit the middle

and overlap half the aerater in each pass

Hence the double penetration

Works for me

P.S. I charge more for X2 aeration. I just do it in one pass
  3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

12-15 per m one pass
    18-22 2 pass
    75.00 min one pass
    i think its been a long time
  4. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

This subject needs to be addressed. Each year I have customers ask if I double aerate in the fashion that you mention. Maybe they have had other LCO's in the past do it thatway, but there are several predetermined factors that must be considered.

I tell my customers that they will get an average of 8-10 plugs per square foot. Of all my research, this is what I have found to be the best amount.

So you need to determine how many holes you get with your aerator to see how many times you need to go over it. Some aerators can get as many as 8-10 on one pass. Some only get about 6.
  5. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I believe the final displacement is what has to be determined. If you do not pull 10% (i believe that is the number) then you should go over it again so that you can get closer to that number. It would be like McDonalds giving you a burger not cooked. The whole job wasnt done. Ya, there was ketchup, mustard and the other stuff, but the final goal was not met. You should "double areate" just to get the job done right. Maybe mcdonalds can start double charging for having to double make your burger if they hagve to recook it. LMAO

Of course, that is only if you want to do it right. I know some companies tell ppl here every year they need thatching and mass fert. Drives me nuts. Alls they want or look at is the $$$$$. :blob2:
  6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

A single pass with an drum aerator is a waste of time. Only result is money in the pocket of the operator. Most university recommendations are for up to 10% of surface area penetrated with aerator. A typical drum aerator with 3/4" tines will achieve only 2% surface penetration per pass.

Also in my experience, heavily compacted soils are not penetrated fully on first pass - sometimes have only achieved 1/2" on first pass. But the loosening of the first pass allows full penetration on second and later passes.

In experimenting in our soils on my properties for the last 20 years, I have found that 2 passes is effective for continued health of good turf, and many are only done every other year. But some heavy soils or heavily thatched areas can need up to four passes twice a year.

Anyone who gives a formula for everyone to use in aeration is a liar. Aeration as a cultural practice is recognized as beneficial, but frequency and density is very site specific.

And price your aeration hourly, rather than by area. I can do one 5K site quicker than another 2.5K site. Charge for your time, and you won't lose whether you are doing 2 or 4 passes. Also the time for unload/load, cleaning machine, and marking irrigation heads makes the second pass a lot cheaper than the first one (time-wise, that is).
  7. Anyone who gives a formula for everyone to use in aeration is a liar. Aeration as a cultural practice is recognized as beneficial, but frequency and density is very site specific.

Thats right Jim at GroundsKeepers but the corect term used should have been "INCORRECT" intead of "LIAR"

See what works for me and what penetration I see while aerafing is how I gage my aeration

So if I'm getting good penetration in one area I don't go over it as many times as another

I think of it as running a roto-tiller over the lawn

And as far is method used is the way I have been doing it may not be the same as others

So what work for you may not work for the next, but this was ADVICE and I don't need to LIE. So if you take this comment the wrong way don't be so specific.

LGF :blob1: