Double blade blues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guntruck, Apr 26, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, here we go, for Eric or whomever may be able to lend an ear. I have a 61" chariot with the ever so great 25 command. This year we put doubles on, the regular high lift marbanes on the bottom and the gators on the top. This seems to be a common set up so i figured give it a shot. Well they seem to work well but like today i did a couple larger lawns that were higher than normal, not rediculously high but high nevertheless. Now i figure with just singles it would have had no probs cutting, but with the doubles after about 10 feet it sounded like my belts would start to slip. They start to screech a little, and the notorious helicopter suction sound is greatly decreased hence the slower blade rpm. So i went to the truck and tightened the spindle belt a little figuring that was the p[roblem, no good. I think its the belt that goes from the motor to the deck, the drive belt that may be slipping. Anyway is it just too much? The high grass and the high lifts with the gators? Or is it maybe an adjustment? I have never had doubles on before so im not sure what to expect. The motor doesnt bog at all just the slippage and slower blade rpm, if i stop for a second or two sometimes it doesnt even pick speed back up till i move to antother area, then it picks speed back up, and this area still has high grass yet it picks up blade confused. The machine has 30 hours on it so i cant imagine it being an adjustment but yu never know.......any ideas fellers????
  2. Tighten the engine to deck belt and use belt dressing.
  3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Before i did this Larry i wanted to check, i just wanted to make sure that the blades werent putting stress on things they shouldnt be. Thanks
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

try no lift and gators, or standards all around.
    my exmark will actually cut heavy grass beter w doubles
    so id try something else.i was in som stuff today that with singles would have taken a while to work in.
    it did take a little double cutting but the results were
    as good as i can lay down. thats the bottom line for me
    perfct results dont care what it takes. luck to you man
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

In thick grass with doubles,my Dixie will just bog right down and stall if you dont slow down to a crawl.If i use singles,the motor still bogs,but not bad.The doubles take a lot more power to run,especailly in thick grass.I definetely would not be running a hi-lift either-to much drag-run double low lifts or a low/gator.My 25 runs at almost 1/2 throttle " at throttle blade just turning doubles at 3800 without moving or cutting any grass,so it really pulls a lot of air,which takes power.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Belts do stretch, especially if you have an electric clutch and start them up with the throttle at full rpms. Sounds like you need to tighten the belt to the deck from the motor.
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I tried doubles for 2 days on my z master. I had the same thing... in tall grass the rpm's dropped significantly! I also had to engage the blades at almost full throttle or it would stall. All in all I did not like double blades on my toro. I guess its because of the deisgn of the deck... I didnt notice any diffrence in clipping size and it also scalped alot more than ussual.
  8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I have done some first-time mowings where the grass is over 12", and yes, you will have to go very slowly and usually make a second pass to clean up what didn't get cut. But from my experience, you would have to do this with single blades as well. The double blade setup gives a superior cut no matter what the length of the grass.

I use double Gators: a Magnum on the bottom and a Standard on the top. I get plenty of lift and very good one-pass performance.

I had to borrow an "Iron Mule" once last year. I bet it is a little hard to make it go real slow.

9. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Double regular OEM blades on our 19 HP 48" bobcat are great! This week, I mowed about 8-12" grass down to 2 1/2" with no belt problem, going about 4-5 MPH, with NO clumping, it just threw it about 10 feet. Bob-Cat anyone?
    We tried a gator once, but didn't like it as much as the current setup.
    Lets go bushhogging with our doubles!
  10. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i have your same mower and dbl blade set up.mine works better with the dbl blades than singles it throughs the grass out farther than singles and has not cloged the deck
    if the grass is hi i just have to slow down i can use mine to bush hog as long as i go at the speed wear the belts dont slip.