1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Double Blade Holder-Bracket

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bluesteel, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Where can I get a bracket or simple holder to keep double blades correctly oriented?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You really don't need one. Put them in the + formation and tighten them down. If you hit something hard enough to move them just realign them. I've probably only had them move about twice ever.
  3. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

What do you mean by double blades? Is that two blades on one spindle at 90 degrees to each other ?

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. Exactly correct.
    Do a search on double blades, there is an enormous amount of info.
    Also, www.elmsite.com has a double blade section by our old friend EricElm(aka double blade dude).
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Some mower manufacturers do offer a bracket that holds the 2 blades. My 52" Walker does and I think Exmarks offers one as well, but not 100% sure.

Good luck
  6. Is there a website address that I can look at them? I'm sure some people would never need them, but that has not been my experience or the point. If I didn't need them, I wouldn't be asking. The question is where can I get them? Thanks
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark doesn't have one, but Gravely does. It should fit the eXmark if someone really was concerned with it.

My thoughts on why you would not want one. If you hit something the blades will move taking the shock not the spindles. If you have the bracket on the spindle will take all the force thus potientally destroying it. Something to think about.
  8. What keeps a single blade from distroying a spindle when you hit something? The bracket I'm thinking about is simple and would spin on the bolt just as a single blade would spin. All this bracket would do is keep the blades from sliding close together. It wouldn't lock the blades to the bolt, or be any harder on the spindle than over-tightening the blades.
  9. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lot of problems with my blades not staying where I want them. One side stays in place but the other side it doesn't matter how tight I make them they still end up moving.

Has anyone ever tried to weld the blades together? I was thinking about that, but I would think it would be hard to sharpen them.
  10. I wouldn't weld blades together. Harder to balance and sharpen. Additionally, if you nick one edge too much to grind-out, you'd have to trash two blades. Stacking them, you can still use the one with the bad edge as the upper mulching blade.

Of course, I have a design for a simple holder. But if someone is already making something close, I'd probably just buy them.