1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Double blade set up question??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottm1, Nov 12, 2007.

1. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

I know this has been asked and answered already, but for the life of me I cannot find it again to read it. I just bought a new set of mulching blades to go on my mower for leaves in addition to the straight blades that came on the mower. I have the chute block off plate also. My queston is what is the best combination of blades to use for double mulching? I know to run them in an + pattern, but does the straight blade or the mulch blade go on top? The mulch blade I bought is from NAPA. I was told their razor back blade is the same as he Gator blade. I don't know if this is true or not. MAybe someone on here can confirm this or not. PArt of me says that if running double blades was a good idea or made a big difference, the manufactures would put their mower out this way, but then on the other had, all of you guys talking about how big of a dfference running doubles makes, Well al lof you can't be wrong.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

the mulching blade goes on top.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure....Like you cant remember.

But I think I read something about not putting them in a Plus pattern more of an x "ex" pattern.....

Now what the heck the diffreance is I dont know.....

maybe someone will chime in and explane it.....
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

If you have the discharge chute blocked off, why do you need (want?) to run doubles? What kind of leaves, what kind of mower, what kind of power ....?

I use a single set of Gators on both a 36" w/b and a 48" ZTR, with a chute blocker. The leaf destruction is all I need. I don't know why I would want to use doubles. The blowout would probably make the setup inefficient. Blowout is bad enough with one blade. I would think doubles would make the problem even worse.
  5. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Double gators will grind twice as much as single Gators. I tried this with two identical mowers side by side. Two passes with the single gator machine was like one pass with the double Gator machine. Blowout seemed the same on both.

6. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

So 2 gators will work better than a gator and a straight?
  7. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, two gators grind better than a gator and a straight. gator and straight will throw farther out the chute and may be better for bagging but I can't say for sure because I never tried bagging.
    One week I decided to see what works best and got two sets each of gators, mulching and high lift standard blades. I tried every combo and double gators mulched best for me.

8. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Hi-lift's, then gators seperated by 2 washers with a mulch kit ( baffles and discharge plate) on a X.
    Encore 61"/25hp Minimal blowout if at the right height 2.75 in
    The leaves go to sleep..
  9. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

he's right. with doubles you will have more blowout. However, lowering the deck height, you decrease the amount of blowout. Double gators will destroy leaves. with the chute blocker, you will increase the blowout. Leave the chute open and throw the leaves to the center. Then as you reach the center, block the chute and the leaves should be ground to nothing. Might make a pass or two with the chute open blowing back out to the perimeter to scatter the mulched leaves.