Double Blade set up ?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by J.Gordon, Aug 5, 2003.

1. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I thought I would ask the Pro’s on this.
    (I have a 25/54 Super W/B)
    When you run a double blade set up do you put a washer between the blades or is there a bracket you can purchase? Part # and where it could be purchased would be nice.
    Also I made an O.C.D.C., which works very well, but I do get some blowout that will probably get a lot worse when I put the double high lifts on the mower. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Jeff

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

OK, if you have the "saddle holder" type blade holder, you want to take off the saddle and notch it with an angle grinder to allow the other blade to fit. Don't run a spacer. Watch out, when you double up on the blades you'll be blowing the grass about 20 feet (G). However, then you'll be able to blow off the driveway and walks and street just by using the mower instead of the backpack........
    Just a hot tip....... silicone the blade holder and keyway onto the shaft after you notch them, otherwise, they keep falling off when changing blades and it's a pain in the butt........

Pete

3. J.Gordon

Just goes to show you there is more than one way to skin a cat. Keep the tips coming; it’s so much easier than trial and error.
    Thanks for the info.

Jeff

4. Doc Pete

So, do I need to tell you the language I was using after the saddle holder fell off for the 5th time.... Ha, ha, ha........

Good luck,
    Pete

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey pete

I know you probably mentioned it before, but what blade combination do you use for doubles? Do you use a flat blade as your second blade so that the cut is the same as the hustler baldes with the drop in them? I was thinking of flat gators with the standards. I am VERY close to getting the 48" super of my dreams and want to know what extra blades I should ask the dealer to throw in the deal.

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

PaulJ,

have you demoed yet? Im in the same boat as you, but i need to redemo the swb before biting the bullet

7. Doc Pete

Macsster,
    I know you had problems with the Hustler you demo'd. If I can answer any questions you have, since I now have the "real" SWB and not just my custom prototype, I'll be glad to help. After all, you don't want to spend all that money and get the wrong thing.
    Pete
    908-953-9812

8. Doc Pete

You can use flat gators, but the hustler blades are hardened more and will stay sharp longer. Also, if you use Gators, the chute blade must have the sail on the Gator ground down a little otherwise it will hit the deflector, not so with the Hustler blades.
    Last, after listening to others, I changed the pitch of my deck to "level" from "pitch down" and the cut, although already very good, is every better in high grass.
    FWIW, I when through foot high grass at speed and yes it streaked a tad, but the machine didn't slow at all. Going a little slower it cut just fine.
    Pete

9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

NO I haven't gotten a true demo yet. I did drive a 17hp 48" around the dealers lot for about 20 minutes last march but didn't cut any grass with it. I liked the way the machine handled and think It would become second nature in short time. The dealers seems reluctant to get a true demo on grass without some what of a commitment from me.

Which brings me to the phone call I had tonight with him.
    He is getting in a 48" Super WB for me to try and buy. Basically I had to say "unless there is something I really don't like I will buy it" I did say I couldn't make a final commitment before mowing with it just like I wouldn't buy a car without driving it on the road. If this mower is all I have heard it is I should be in heaven. If it can cut as good with single blades as my lesco does with doubles I will be very happy.
    bottom line is 48" SWB (list@$6295) + bullrider sulky + 6.2cu accelerator catcher = $6395
    I think its a good deal. I told him to get a couple more sets of blade and might try to get him to put those in the deal.
    This is the most money I have spent on anything in a long time. but I have to keep reminding myself that it is going to help build my business. I hope to increase my productivity by a quarter to a third and reduce my fatigue and stress at the same time.

It is going to be a couple weeks before it comes in . I will keep you posted.

Thank you to pete for all your helpful input about hustler and mowers in general. and thank you to this forum and hustler for the same.

10. J.Gordon

Well I thought I would update you on my double blade setup.
    I put the double high lifts on and the cut improved drastically.
    I even had a client compliment on the improvement. It will blow grass 20’ plus.
    The Downside is blowout with the O.C.D.C. down. It leaves a nice
    Grass streak on the discharge side of the mower and the blowout
    In front of the deck. You will get dirty!
    As always comments and suggestions are appreciated.
    P.s. Thanks Pete for all your help
    Jeff