DOUBLE BLADE TORO Z-MASTER

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EROSS17, Feb 27, 2001.

1. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

I've been reading a lot of threads about using double blades. I'm wondering if any one has done it on a Toro Z-Master. I have a 99 Z-Master, and don't think it's possible. Thanks!!

2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Why dont you think its possible?? What seems to be holding you back from putting them on?

3. I too have a Toro Z, talked with my dealer who called Toro, they do not recommend doubling the blades as the bearings are not set up to handle this, also if the machine is under warranty this will cancel it.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Others are using double blades on Toros. If they do not hold up, see if Dixie Chopper spindles will fit. I know they will hold up for many years, over 3000 hours without problems using double blades. I can not see what a couple extra pounds more on a set of bearing will hurt. I have used doubles on a few different brands and I have replaced one set of spindle bearings on one spindle on one machine in the 13 seasons I have used doubles.

That sounds like a cop out that is pretty lame to me. Most dealers and Mfgs. have never heard of this method. Dixie Chopper makes a bracket to keep the double blades from slipping and they will warranty the spindles too. I guess only small companies can build them strong enough. ;)

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Toro Z Master its a 2000 model i just started useing doubles this yr. No problem the cradel is 1/2" deep i use a Atomic mulching blade on top then put on a 5/8" washer then regular high lift blades on bottom, works great. Runs almost as smooth,in fact it seems to make it more balanced. The spindels on the Z Masters are one of the best made Timken Bearings usually last 6yrs i have the same on one of my walkbehinds never change any yet and its on its 8th yr. Youll be amazed at the stripe,plus it dices the grass into dust with my mulch kit. I try it if you dont like the results,stick with one blade. Marks Mowing Service

6. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback fellas!!

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I really think doubles adds better balance to
    the whole set up.At least thats the way it seems
    with my mower.This should be as easy on bearings etc as the singles.JUST MINE,TIME WILL TELL

8. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

When your using double blades, how do the measurements changes? 3inches on the deck heighth is now what? I do a lot of lawns that I know exactly the height I need that's not going to scalp,so I kind of need exact measurements.

9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I took one of the quarter inch spacers on mine off and the cut is the same height. Marks Mowing Service

10. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell LawnSite Member

On the Z Master's has anyone ground down the cradle to fit the additional blade? Another words, make a slot perpendicular to the existing space. Or do you just space it, and torque it down as tight as you can?

I have not cut with mine yet, and as of right now I have it spaced. I have been considering a little metal working on the cradle to accomodate the second blade. Might make it similar to Eric's cradles on his Dixies', not for sure though. In theory it seems like a good idea.

Just wondering what other's think about it, especially you Mark. Anyway it goes, I am really looking forward to cuttin' it up soon. :)