1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Double blade woes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CSRA Landscaping, Jul 6, 2001.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, here's the thing, I've been running doubles on my 48" Scag Tiger Cub and it works beautifully! Except for the deck belt keeps breaking. That belt is about $60 and this is the second belt that's broken in a month (the other was at the beginning of June). Do any of you Scag owners run doubles? Have you had the same problem?
    I've noticed that whenever I get into thick grass, the trouble seems to hit. I know now what the sound of a belt that's getting ready to pop is.
    The dealer that I got it from says that it's because I'm running doubles. He says that the clutch on this machine was designed to be an instantaneous device with no slipping and the load that
    I've placed on it is just too much. Could this be true?:confused: Seems to me that there could be something done, I mean Walker and Dixie Chopper advocate using doubles. It's not like we're the first group that's ever tried it.
    Your input is greatly appreciated.
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I bet your belts breaking are a direct result of you running doubles,it just puts much more load on the belt than singles.Walkers use gearboxes,so doubles dont hurt them as much as hitting things.Dixie Chopper uses B-size belts which are pretty beefy,and use a manual clutch,so you can gently engage the blades.What size bel is on your deck that your blowing?is it an A- or B?The A is smaller,and I think its rated at around 8-10HP continous,where the B is more than double that.If your using a small belt,and cant run a thicker one,Id stop using double blades on that machine.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If your belt cost $60, it must be a huge belt. I have a C 158 on the diesel Chopper that has around 560 hours on it and it still looks like new. I did buy a replacement belt for it just in case I ever break that one and it was around $70. A C 158 is the biggest belt I've ever had on a mower and I hope it lasts for many years. :)

A hand clutch is very gentle on belts. I can start the blades up on both of mine at an idle. I realize on an electric clutch, you have to rev them up a little to get the blades going without killing the motor, but just don't rev them up to the maximum when starting the blades up and slow them down to an idle when you stop the blades. Doing this will make the belts and clutch last longer.

Even on my 1990 430 JD with an electric clutch I engaged the clutch at an idle and I have not replaced that clutch yet either.
  4. CSRA Landscaping

Plower, it's a 117.5" long by ... 5/8"? Not sure of the width right off the top of my head.

Eric, that belt is long. And I have been idling down to engage the blades. Religiously. I'll take it down all the way before I engage them, let the engine get used to it, then rev it up. But 2 belts in a month ... that's too much. :rolleyes:
  5. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i dont know about your scag but my dane did that (my fault) i was engaging the blades at full throttle .
    i was also not sharpping the new blades and that didnt work to good in tall grass you could here the belt burning.
    now when i engage the blades its almost at a idle.i found it was easier on the clutch and belt. if i use the parking brake to engage the blades. on mine its has safty switches and the blades only come on when the parking brake is off. seems alot smoother doing this . in tall grass slow down a little.use sharp blades (encluding new ones).dont run if deck is clogged (CLEAN IT).

i was paying around $75.00 for the belt that kept breaking and the last time it broke i got one at tractor supply store for less than $20.00 its been there sence november of last year and no sign of any wear.
  6. CSRA Landscaping

Bad thing about that, rdh, is that TSC doesn't carry the belt that I need. I think I looked. 117" is a hoss of a belt.
  7. BIG RON

BIG RON LawnSite Member
    from S.W. MO

Check out you parts store. Oriley parts stores have gates belts. They have a one year warenty onthem. If they brake they will replace them. They wont last as long as the dixxie Chopper belts but they are a lot cheeper. Here you have to watch when you go to a dealer because they will give you a Gates belt insted of a Dixxie belt.:angel:
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think I would DEFinitely find another source for belts other than a mower shop. 60 bucks for a belt is just ludicrous. That's kind of like going in and telling them you need a blade spindle bolt. They are going to charge you 8 to 10 bucks for a #8 hardness bolt that would have costed you 2 bucks somewhere else.
  9. Dixie don't make belts. They buy 'em somewhere, just like us.
    I buy mine at an industrial supply house, and they don't mess with nothin' but Gates and Goodyear.
    Just find your size of belt, wheather it's an L series, or an A or B belt times the length. If they're breaking, spec. kevlar cords.
    You'll save money and have better belts.
  10. CSRA Landscaping

Funny you guys should mention that, as I was thinking about it earlier this morning. What parts store would you recommend? I was actually thinking of checking at the auto parts stores.