Double blades are bad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pfeiff, Oct 8, 2004.

1. pfeiff

pfeiff LawnSite Member

I e-mail exmark the other day asking them there thoughts on double blades. They said that is a very bad idea because it puts double the force of the engine and all the belts. He also said it makes the blades lower to the ground which is bad because you will tend to hit more objects, which buts a toll of the bearings. I wish some one made a lighter double blade unit that is all one blade.

Dave

2. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure many will object but I think that doubles are a necessary evil only when there is a ton of growth, ie spring. For one, yes it is more stress on the engine. I kept mine on until mid July this year when they weren't needed as much and upon switching back to regular low lifts only, I noticed a considerable increase in fuel efficientcy from day one. Also, it is much more stress on the clutch to engage the blades. With doubles I must have the throttle at about 1/3 to engage and sometimes more, however with one set of blades, I can engage at idle every time. These two reasons are why I only run doubles when it is necessary since I would rather not spend more than I have to on fuel at the time and would rather sell the mower with the original clutch in good working order rather than spend several hundred on a new one.

3. WOW! ;) This thread is 3 hours old without a answer from Meg-Mo

DLCS likes this.
  4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont worry his reply will be coming :p

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I personally have not had any issues running doubles but if I do it was well worth it. Anything to speed up the cutting of the clients lawn and you end up with a great looking lawn is all that matters.

Gravely_Man

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Meg Mo can advertise his products all he wants, since he is a paying sponsor. He keeps this site free. :)

7. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

Thats good good laugh :D

8. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

we haven't scraped a deck for 7 years :D

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I see no harm in running doubles. Just a little extra strain on the engine is all.

But, what are the various reasons for running doubles anyways?

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I really have never noticed a better cut and/or less clumps running doubles so I don't run them at all. I did notice a decrease in HP though running doubles