Double blades for Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by green814, Jan 28, 2005.

1. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

I have a Toro Z557 27/60 and a Proline 15/52 bd/wb. I havn't seen anyone talk about double blades on their Toro's. Do you need to make/buy a special bracket? I know my w/b with a 15 kaw may not be enough, but I am definitely interested in them on the Z. Thank you for the info in advance.
    Chris

2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

You can buy special brackets and stuff but I don't think that you need to. Just put them in an X pattern and bolt them on like normal. Be aware that they will cut just a little lower then they do with one blade. Double blading does chop everything up a little finer but it seems to me that it would be a little harder on your clutch and belts.

3. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

The new Toro mowers have a saddle under the spindle that holds the blade. If you run doubles you will need to add a washer to make up the difference, since the saddle that holds the blade in place sticks below the blade about a 1/4 inch or so. The washer will allow you to tighten the doubles down properly so the top one wont be loose which might damage the saddle over time.

4. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

FLC Dave
    Will I have to get a longer bolt for the blades ? Or should the factory bolt be long enough?
    Chris

5. Bray

Bray LawnSite Member

I notched mine to accommodate the extra blade. It kind of acts like a holder for the second blade and you can fit them snug together.

6. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard others recommend this but I haven't and had no problems. I also use a Dewalt impact gun to tighten my bolts down.

7. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

Bray
    I had thought of that, but wanted to hear what others had to say.

What combo of blades do you guys use? I figure I will try high lifts & gators to start.
    Chris

8. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

I tried this with excalibers on my 60"Exmark with the 23 Kohler. It does chop the grass finer but takes away some horsepower. It sounds like a freaking helicopter too. Engine doesn't seem to turn as many RPM's either. You will also have twice as many blades to sharpen. I prefer not running douobles, just my opinion.

9. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

CNE
    I know I would loose some power, but I have the 27 kohler so I thought it might not be as noticeable. I have heard it is a lot louder though.
    Chris