1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

double blades may have fried my clutch.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crew, Nov 2, 2000.

1. crew

crew LawnSite Member

Anyone else had an early clutch fry running double blades. I have a lazer z with a 23 horse Kholer and a little over 400 hours.One of my guys says to me "that mower is making funny noises". I look over and there are sparks shooting out of the clutch.
    My fear is that the 2 blade set up may be at least partially responsible. Interestingly, the replacement clutch is a Warner unlike the original equipment on this mower in the year it was built. The new z's come with warners. Perhaps exmark had some trouble with these.
    I have another z ( with new style clutch) but dont want to shell out the 300.00 for a new clutch every season.Any similar experiences?
  2. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

My brother in Florida runs 3 toro's and has had electric clutch problems with all of them. I bet it's not the dual blade. I believe they just go out. He has had to pour water on them to cool them off and then they will work just fine for a while. It seem to be when running in thick tall grass. Or when mulching heavy wet grass.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

electric clutches sre something i can do without-glad i dont have one-I dont know of anyone who has them and likes them.I think 1/2 the trouble with them is the operator-bring it up to 3700-and start up the blades from a dead stop-I cant believe they last as long as they do.
  4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had the clutch on my Lazer go out at 4oo hours. Exmark replaced it. The next one went out about only 350. Exmark replace the part/no labor. I think they had trouble with this part.
    I had the concerns of double blades and clutch wear, that could have contributed to the problems.