Double Blades (Not what you think) :)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scraper, May 22, 2001.

1. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay...not what you thought...I was wondering now that we've hashed and rehashed this topic, how many of you do not use double blades after all the benefits have been mentioned? I for one am a convert and don't believe I'll ever NOT use double blades except when it is very dry as the dust clouds are too much at times. If you are not using them, why not?

2. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

I have tried double blades with a few different combinations. Maybe it is just my mower but, the best blades I have found are Exmark's high lift-solid air foil. I do agree the doubles chop up grass better, but I get alot of blow out with doubles, alot of grass stuck under the deck, and the clippings don't blend in as well. When I say the clippings don't bend in well, they seem to just lay on top. Also, my mower has more of a tendency to scalp as the blades hang a little below the baffles. For you information I have a Exmark Truf Tracer Hp 48" with 17hp Kawi. I have another one with ECS on order. If anyone has any suggestions I would be open to them.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have not tried them and I dont know if i will or will not this fall.

I think that unless we have a fall season where the leaves all come down in two days that I will not be putting the extra set onto the decks.

For seasonal maintenance our properties really dont get that far out of hand where I think we need to compenasate for the lack of judgement on our part - no offense intended for those of you who are successfully using this method for mowing. :)

I have tossed and toiled with the idea of them and truthfully find that they will only benefit our operation during heavy accumualtions of leaves (if it happens) in the fall.

If the leaves dont come down in a down pour, I will be one of the few who sticks with the old adage "If It Aint Broke - Dont Fix It".

Got by without 'em before and just may continue to get by without em still.

Kris

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to try lowering your anti-scalp rollers one notch. This shou8ld be done as soon as you get the machine anyway. As far as the clippings laying on top more, I think that's just initial. They may not fall down quite as fast because they are lighter, but they do settle. Not only that, but because they are only a fraction of the length when cut with doubles as opposed to without, they also setle deeper and more rapidly decompose.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I use them in the fall for cleanups on my Lazer. I use singles the rest of the time. Its just alot harder to start them up with the electric clutch than it was on the Dixie. Plus I feel that the cut on the Lazer is great as it is. It does cut better with doubles, but the lowered cutting height and blowout along with more of a tendency to bog in tall grass, had me switch back to singles. I may try them this week to knock down all the tall grass from the rain, dont know yet. But for leaves, doubles are a must!

Final verdict......UNDECIDED yet!

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Final Verdict: SOLD!!

Since switching to doubles I have been able to single cut those lawns where I used to have to double cut during the heavy fast spring growth. Striping looks better with the doubles. Using them for leaf clean ups is amazing. I can't remember exactly how much now, but last fall I decreased the amount of leaves I had to haul away by over half from years past. Just mulch 'em in. For those of you with blow out problems, make sure your deck has a positive pitch. With single blades you won't notice a slight negative pitch as much, but with the doubles, you'll notice it. When I first started doubles I had that problem, I adjusted the deck and now its fine.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I dont use them for most of the reasons above. Cant lower the scalp wheels on my lazer anymore than they are and the doubles dig into the ground as we cut lower around here. Just not worth the extra wear on the mower for me either. My 23hp lazer seems to lose to much power trying to push the extra weight to do leaves also and bogs in high grass.

8. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

my dealer sadit hey dont do doubles for exmarks just cub cadets and some other mower so i decided to forget about it i would like to try them

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

grassyfras, you put 2 blades together and BOOM! you got double blades for a lazer

10. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I tried the doubles on my Gravely 50 WB last year, & the extra weight of the 2nd set of blades really put a hurting on the engine & the damn thing sounded like a helicopter attack. So I quickly took them off & never tried them again. I now have a new Scag 52 hydro WB that I am considering trying the doubles on. What do ya think??

SJR