1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Double blades on Exmark Turf Tracer for leaf mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Oct 16, 2003.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 48" TT ECS which cuts grass great. But on mulching leaves, it's a real problem compared to other machines I've run (mainly fixed deck Scags). I believe the reason is that the machine does such a good job on dispersing grass clippings, that it just isn't very compatable for leaf mulching.

I've tried the mulch kit on leaves, it can make a real mess of a driveway when exiting the lawn. And there are times I want to be able to disperse the leaf mulch.

It seems the best way to do what I want to do is to use double blades, but with the floating deck setup, blowout is so bad this is unusable, and I don't want to add any stripping on the front of the deck.

I'm wondering how many of you have experience with doubles on a FIXED deck Exmark. This way, blades can be brought up inside the deck and should reduce or eliminate blowout on leaf mulching. Will the fixed deck Exmark solve the leaf blowout problem?

I'm considering either buying a 48" fixed deck which I may just use through leaf season. Or, buying a used 48" Scag fixed deck as my leaf mulching machine / backup machine.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try the RAPTER BLADES from stens. I dont think you have the hp on a Turf tracer HP To Run doubles.
  3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

you need at least a 23HP unit.i tried running doubles on my 17 TTHP52 didn't work well at all
  4. naturescape

The problem ISN'T horsepower, but rather blowout.
  5. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

Does Exmark make an Anti-blowout baffle for your deck? I had this same blowout problem on my Lazer hp w/ doubles and added the baffle along with a Trimmertrap blockoff plate. Works well for me. Better than w/o the baffle.
  6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

You are right about reducing blow out by raising the blades inside the deck. I have a Dixie Chopper which comes with a removable spacer above the blades. It is 1/2" thick, so that gives the blades a nice "tuck" in the deck. I use doubles, so the tuck is reduced by 1/4", but I know that 1/4" does make a difference.
  7. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I tryed doubles on my TThp, and it sucked! Way to much blow out. The stock mulching blades should mulch the leaves good, Thats all I used last year, and it did very good, But I used them on lawns Im at every week, and the leaves never got out of hand.
    What about those blades that are flat, with no lift? Maybe they would reduce blow out.
  8. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Exmark doesn't make a blow out kit for the 36" metro. What I tried the other day, is hi-lift over gator, with no spacers on the inside, tried it, worked pretty well....going to keep it that way now, but will have to change it to just hi-lifts when I bag so I can really pack it in there.
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Alex it should bag great with double (gator and hi). I always put the gator on top but i doubt it makes much difference. Or did you mean double high lifts to bag?
  10. naturescape

Does Exmark make an Anti-blowout baffle for your deck?

No, they don't.

I'm getting very close to buying a fixed 48" deck, I may do so in a few days. I also like the bolt-through bolt attachment on a fixed deck, and I seldom change cutting heights. Honestly, changing cutting heights on an ExM floating deck isn't THAT much easier than adjusting 2 spacers on the front casters of a fixed deck. I know that the caster spacer adjusment isn't that great for a major change in height, but it has always worked well for me for a 1" change in height.

I'm hoping the new fixed deck ExM still has the bolt-through design......