double blades on fastrak

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ccorts, May 18, 2004.

1. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

I have a new 52/20 Fastrak and I have been running it with the gator blades. After reading some posts, I wanted to try to put the stock blades on the bottom and have the gator blades on top (doubling up). This worked well and seemed to really shread the thick, lush grass. My question is this. Will this cause any harm to anything? Do you think this results in a better cut, as a lot of pros seem to be doing this now! Any comments are welcome.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The spindles we use in the Fastrak are commercial duty spindles, they are the same ones we use in the Mini Z and Super Mini Z.
    I doubt you will see any problems.

Pj

3. markjenna

markjenna LawnSite Member

I have the same mower and would like to do the same thing, How did you install the gators and stock blades. Do they both install the same way or it one upside down or something, also did you need a longer bolt and what size is it. I would like some info, to do this also. Mark

4. BlaineAB

BlaineAB LawnSite Member

I'm a new 52/20 Fastrak owner, too.
    I'd like the same info! -- Blaine

5. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

I currently have the gator blades stacked on top of the stock blades (the stock blade on the bottom). I cut last weekend like that in heavy grass and it worked well. Another "pro" suggested that the blades be crossed on each spindle like this + . I wish I knew what the best method was. Check the Homeowners Forum because I put a post there yesterday asking for this information. I have heard from people that both are being used. As for the bolts, the stock bolt was used and I just torqued it down tight so the blades wouldn't shift. I would also like to hear how others are using this method.

6. coolhand

coolhand LawnSite Member

I have the 18/44 Fastrak and would also be interested in the double blades. I have the factory and a set of gators. Give us the scoop PJ!

Steve

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I don't have the scoop ...lol..lol...

Hustler does not have any recommendations on double blade use, we do not offer it from the factory as a option therefore I can not give any worthy advise on its use.

Pj

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know if the fast track has the same blade/spindle design as the walkbehinds. But the way the WB blade saddles are made it looks like a double blade setup would not work.

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The FasTrak has different spindles than the walk behinds.

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

And "Please" use bolts 1/4" longer. It's just much safer.
    DP