Double Blades on MINI Z 19/52

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by flake1333, Apr 23, 2006.

1. flake1333

flake1333 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone double blades the MINI Z 19/52 and what luck you have had with it. Does it cause any problems for the mower or void any warranty. I have heard that it improves the cut and helps keep grass clippings small. Any suggestions?

2. RiggitanoLandscape

RiggitanoLandscape LawnSite Member

No it doesn't void the warranty because the spindles are cast iron. I had double blades on my supermini z 52/24. It is great on completely dry grass and dry grass only. It doubles your discharge and cuts the grass in finer peices but in wet wet grass it is horriable. If you are a homeowner user then it will work for you but if your like me doing it commerically then it is not worth doing at all. I currently have a super z 60/25 with the xr-7 deck and run single high lift blades. It works great.

RiggitanoLandscape

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Please don't speak for Hustler Turf.
    The spindles on the Mini's are aluminum.
    I am almost sure you will not see a failure related to running doubles, but if there is one, and it is due to running doubles, it may or may not be covered.

Pj

4. flake1333

flake1333 LawnSite Member

When I purchased the MINI Z I was told that it is the same things as the Z but put on smaller frame. So the Z has cast iron spindles and the MINI Z has aluminum spindles? Why is this are the aluminum spindles cheaper IE less quality?

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Mini Z's, Super Mini Z's and the Mini FasTrak and FasTrak's all use a aluminum commercial grade spindle.
    This is the same spindle used in other OEM's commercial units also.
    The Hustler Z and Super Z's use a ductile cast iron spindle that we have used for over 30 years.
    The reason for use of the aluminum spindle is due to deck design, the units that use it have a different design deck compared to the full framed units (Hustler Z and Super Z).

Pj