1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Double Blades on Toro 44: SFS Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jnjnlc, Jun 6, 2001.

1. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Anybody running Double blades on the Toro SFS deck? If so what is the best combination? I just put high lift on the bottom and gators on top. At first I did not notice any difference in the cut until I cut a lawn with deep grass. It seem to do a little better than with just the gators.

I am a little concerned about the performance of the motor now. The Toro has a 17 hp Kawi. I can tell the difference in how the engine sounds with the double blades. It also sounds like one heck of an airplane.

Anyway if you have any suggestions please let me know.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

No suggestions, I have this setup with a 44"SFS and a Kohler 15hp and it has no problems at all.
    It sounds like an airpane for sure but if you really want to hear one you should see Eric ELMS Dixie with the diesel and doubles. You will think you are at O'Hare airport.
    Good luck.
  3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I tried regulars on the bottom and Atomic mulchers on top on my 52" SFS deck. Mine has only a 15 Kaw. It did good unless I hit heavy grass and then the engine just didn't have the power to pull it.
    I went back to single standard blades.
    It's quicker for me to double cut than it is to let it bog down.
  4. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I noticed today that when I was going up a steep hill it seemed to bog down a bit. I think this would be great with a 19 hp or higher. I can tell a difference in the cut and the clippings though. I am going to keep this config for a while longer and see what happens. I will watch the engine performance as well. If it still bothers me in a week or so I am going back to singles.
  5. linky

linky LawnSite Member

I have the same mower as jnjnlc. I found the best blade combo for me is standard gators. The only thing that i dont like is that the vacuum pulls a small row of clippings to the back side of the discharge. I finaly got a bagger for it today-woo woo! Do any of you have a problem with the mower leaving a small trail of clippings? Any suggestions?
  6. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

what kind of bagging system did you go with? bluebird? i like the 44z but i think the underside of the sfs deck jams up with way too much clippings.it just dodesn't seem to keep as clean as the other regular decks.i'm getting a little tired of scraping 3 inches of clogged grass from under it all the time. as far as running doubles i was gong to put them on probably this week. i have the kohler 20hp on mine. did you use a longer bolt for the double blades?
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

44 SFS just needs to add a washer for the correct spacing with doubles.
  8. linky

linky LawnSite Member

LJ LAWN,
    I use a toro fabrick catcher. The mowing conditions here have been very wet so i have been doing some scraping but not too much. I did not need to use a longer bolt. I (think) on the ztrs you do need to.
    MOW ED,
    What does spacing the blades with a washer do? What width washer do you recommend? Thanks
  9. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I use gators with a homemade mulching plate on one of our 44's. The others have the Toro $ 150 mulch kit it seems to work better than just plate unless the grass is real wet. We cut low and mainly cut Buermada. What brand of baggers are Y'all usin' on Toro's?