1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Double blades on Toro products???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Pastures, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone put double blades on Toro Z-Masters AND walk behinds?

It's been raining here steadily for 5 days now on it's (forecasted) way to 7 straight days of rain. I'm thinking that when I can mow the grass will be a foot high. Looking into the idea of gator blades on top and hi lift on the bottom to help with bagging......

Any suggestions, experiences you want to share?

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I tried it for a few days this spring. I've got the 44" WB. I upgraded to a 15HP Kohler because I use a Velkie.

I did notice a reduction in debris, but not a huge difference. I still needed to blow a few spots where the grass was taller.

The biggest problem was the drag on the engine. The speed was really reduced, and I believe the tip speed dropped a bit.

I think I might try it again for leaf season, but It's probably going to cause some damage to the unit.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think you can put doubles on just about any mower...you just have to take into consideration the extra drag it will put on the engine. Enough hp is what you have to be concerned with.

I run doubles on our 72" Toro 325D Groundmasters. They're 25hp diesels. I don't get any noticable drag on the engines, but I do see the increased "blowout" in front of the decks...especially when we are bagging leaves in the Fall.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If You Do Don't run Gators In any Kind Of wet. run High Lifts When you run doubles. I Ran Doubles This spring And It was wet The high Lifts were the best. The gators and high Lifts Kind Of clumped. In taller wetter Grass you Wount notice the Blow out As much.

John. We Have Cool season Grass.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with Matthew. I have a 44 Porline WB w/15Kohler and I did run doubles. Atomic on top, hi lift below. It is great for leaf season and good for wet stuff but I went thru 2 electric clutches because of what I believe is excessive vibration. This clutch has been in for a few months now and no vibration. Yes my blades were balanced and they where mounted in the cross pattern evenly. I checked.

I liked using them because they do a much better job than singles but it is a pain to shell out around 200 bucks every time the clutch falls off.

I will try them again in a couple of weeks for leaf season.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been running doubles all season on my Toro 44inch Proline. No problems at all except I had to replace the engine and transmission a couple weeks ago. Good luck.

7. Green Pastures

Lawns and Mower........

Dude are you serious??? That is a huge problem, an engine AND tranny. Maybe I need to think this double blade thing over some more.

Do you ever change the oil and grease your mowers, or are you saying it was the doubles that caused you to need an new engine and trans? How many hours on this machine anyway???

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Just checking to see if the Lawnsite gang was awake out there. Yes, I had to replace the engine and tranny, but allow me to clarify this. I'm solo and I've had this mower for 7 years. It's my frontline mower. I love this mower (Proline) and I'm too stuburn to buy a new mower. The engine was showing signs of age even before I switched to doubles and the transmission was also aging. It was time to replace one of the shafts inside the trans. and this part alone costs $100, so instead, I thought I would be better off just buying a new trans from J-Thomas for $185. Have no fear going to doubles. You'll love it. You'll never go back!!!

PS When you do go to doubles, I strongly urge using fiber washers between the blades. No slippage at all. Good luck.
  9. Green Pastures

Phew......you scared me there for a minute. I think I'll go that way. Are you using synthetic or standard oil in your mowers. 7 years on one engine is great if you ask me.

10. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

I have been running doubles on my Toro w/b on and off for a year now, with no troubles at all. They work awesome most of the time, however when it starts to get dry i take them off because of the dust they make.
    You will need to have the R.P.M.'s turned up to compensate for the added drag. I would definatly use a tach when turning it up, or better yet, let a mechanic do it. Mine has been turned up to 3650 no load R.P.M.'s
    As for the blades, i agree with the others here. If it's not too wet i run atomics on top and high lifts on bottom. If it gets wet, i change to regular blades on top, high lifts on bottom.
    Hope this helps.