double blades on walker GHS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ShortCuts, Oct 15, 2001.

1. ShortCuts

ShortCuts LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I'm just curious if anyone has ever tried it? If so, how'd you do it?

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would think this is impossible. Not enough clearance. I bought a set of gators and had to grind down the tips of a couple of the lifts just to get clearance. This is a good question and I am curious also.
    Matt

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I'm not real familiar with Walkers, but I think they have gear box drives that are timed so the blades don't hit. If this is true, you can use shorter blades on top as the doubles. I use blades for a 50" Chopper on top and the 60" Chopper blades on the bottom for leaves. If you think about it, it will give more lift over a bigger area. This might work.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Short Cuts

I posted a few days ago that I had changed the right hand box so the GHS deck turned like a mulcher and reduced clipping. I saw no difference in the cut. I have not tried double blades.

Try it, you will like it. Good luck.

Ric

5. PIONEER

PIONEER LawnSite Member

walker-talker

How did the gators cut and how much did you have to grind off the tips to get clearance. Did this make anydifference on how much clippings you picked up?

6. walker-talker

from Midwest

Did not have to grind off much. There are 4 tips at each end of the blade and only had to grind approx 1/8 inch off 2 tips. I use the deflecting shield and blow out the back. It works ok, if the grass is short, but not satisfied. If the grass is high, it does an aweful job. You will have to go over at least twice. Also, by blowing out the back, casues for more clean up. I am going to purchase a used 42 or 52 mulching deck (if I can find one) before next spring. Hope that helps.

7. walker-talker

from Midwest

I was assuming you were mulching. If you are catching, the gators work fine. The cut is good. If you think that your catch was heavy before, you better look out. Those gators will pack the crap out of your catch. SUPER HEAVY!

8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i've put doubles on a ghs.

it's not hard, just reset the timing, but it didn't really make a big change in the cut.

and, if you hit something, i think it'll make a mess of things.

Dave

9. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

Yeah on the ghs it is not worth the hassel. Now the double blade set up on the 52" deck works awesome. Especially on some of the first 52" decks made. They did not cut as well as the new ones do with the single blade. Even without the mulching kit on the 52" deck, the double blades really help to scatter the grass and reduce the size of clippings. On the smaller decks, just stick with the single blade set up.

10. ed kidwell

ed kidwell LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i spent 12 years runnning walkers and 5 selling them travrled far and wide and there is an answer to this question a fella by the name of roy dale megli makes a disc stlye set up that while not perfect does one hell of a job in areas where you arent going to encounter hits to your spindles he was working on , a heavier center section the blades where mini about four inches in length
    the spinning force weight of the minin blades didnt work things to hard if you what to get a hold of him go to louisvilles expo he exhibits in a booth there or contact me and ill get you his number