Double Blades on ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn DOG, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you guys are using them?

Are any of you using them on something other than a Dixie Chopper?

2. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I just started using them yesterday.

Med.lift and gators....for dry 5-7 inch tall fescue and bermuda. Catching up from wet spell and the 10 days/bi-weeklys growing FAST got a little tall.

Love it! Dusty-but no need to double cut to deal with clippings! This combo shreds and throws them nicely.

I run a Lazer Z w/ 23 Kaw. and 60" deck. No problem with drag when chopping at 2-1/2" (blades as sharp as Ginsu knives and CAREFULLY balanced) :D

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Several of you members that use Exmark have emailed me about where to get the double blade bracket. Have any of you bought them? I am wondering if they do work on an Exmark or not, they should but I would like to know for sure.
    Thanks
    Eric

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use them on my lazer 60" Gators on top, standard high lifts on bottom. No bracket, the blades dont move at all. I like it.

It will be alot better when my OCDC come in.

5. BIG RON

BIG RON LawnSite Member
    from S.W. MO

HAS ANYONE HAD TROUBLE BENDING THE BRACKETS FOR THE DOUBLE BLADES? I BENT ONE THIS WEEK SOMEHOW. I DONT RECALL HITTING ANYTHING. BUT IT SURE IS BENT ALL FOUR LIPS ARE BENT LIKE THE BLADES TWISTED. IF IT CAN BE BROK I CAN SEAM TO FIND A WAY.
    ALSO IS ANY ONE USEING BLADES THAT HAVE BEEN CRYOID(not sure of the spelling). THAT IS FREEZING THE BLADES. I HAVE BEEN RUNNING THESE FOR THE PAST 2 YEARS AND INSTED OF CHANGING THE BLADES AT LEAST ONCE A DAY I CAN GO SOMETIMES 2 OR 3 DAYS BETWEEN SHARPING.:angel:

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

EricELM:

No Bracket. All my local Exmark dealers said: "???HUH???"

No Spacer between blades.

Torqued at 140 lbs. (better safe than sorry)

So far...so good. :)

Anyone who tries this:... remember to compensate for the 1/4" loss of heigth under the deck and be sure to re-adjust the scalping wheels accordingly! Also try to get 2" bolts of #8 hardness.

I compensate a full 1/2" in to be safe. Works and stripes real nice! :D

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

they stay where they are suppose to pretty good for me.
    the bracket would take away the give if you hit something
    seems to me.i use lazer

8. evergreenlawn

evergreenlawn LawnSite Member

I just started using them yesterday. They did great. Gators on top of med. lifts. I'm running a Gravely PM260Z.

9. USING DOUBLE BLADES IS DANGEROUS

I have tried this before on a W/B and did not see a diferance
    they did not stay on straight

I also don't think the manufactures want you to do so or they would have done it them selves

I would check with the man. site and see what they say about it

your mower spindle wern't made to hold the extra stress

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

got to differ on that godfather,think about a toy jack,as in pick up jacks. is it balanced better with two sides or four.
    in any case they were a major improvement for me.to each his on later