double blades problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, May 20, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

If double blades are so great why arn't any mowers designed and sold with them allready installed?
  2. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

Things that make you go "HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"
  3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

We could ask that same questions about a lot of things. Why buy accessories for your car/truck, why don't they include them?

Double blade systems are avalable, I don't know the exact reason, could have to do with safety. If engine wear or spindle failure would be a problem they would be all for it, most failures would occur after the warranty & they would make more $$$. They may not think it's needed.

I have used doubles in the fall, I don't think I need them all of the time.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Walkers been using em for well over 15 years ;->

CLARKE LawnSite Member

Doulble blades work best in the fall on mulching leafs.
    They make quick work on a pile of leafsgreen :alien:
  6. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

We use mulchin blades on our contract customers. So little rain right now I feel mulchin is a must. Single cuts for renal homes are usually done with toro fixxed decks around here. Not many guys use doubles .
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i put singles on the other day.mower cuts smooth but if you get down and look you can see a difference from the doubles in the
    neg .the exstra sucktion just pulls the grass up better.
    i am trying some lighter top blades . hopefully they will be easier during engaging the clutch.ill post if i think it is working.
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have run doubles about 60% of the 200 hrs of mowing on my 2000 Dixie chopper,I do think it puts more stress,its simply double the weight spinning at high speeds,so any change in speed,if you hit a branch,or rock,torques twice as much on the spindle.The other load is start up,the whole mass of 6 blades is harder to get spinning,since it is now much heavier,so belts,and idlers will stressed a little more.If you dont hit anything,and ease the blades on with a manual clutch,I dont think the difference is to big,but if you have an electric clutch or engage the blades wide open,and regularly cut low,or hit things,it might take a big toll on parts.I have already blew one spindle bearing,and this weekend,my blade engagement lever tore right out of the idler assy,this weekend,when mowing my lawn.I think the engagement lever is somewhat attribute to the doubles,as it gets a lot more load at blade start up time.The parts were not completely welded,full circle either-so it was going to fail anyway-doubles might have sped up the failure a little though IMO.The biggest thing I notice is how hard my engine labors with doubles,cant be any good for it,but the cut/vacuum is great with them,so I do use them spring,and fall.
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

well the lighter top blade did make a significant
    difference in the stress from engaging the blades.
    if everything else works this wk another problem solved.