Double Blades question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K c m, Sep 8, 2006.

1. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Hello guys. I normally don't run doubles on my walks because i prefer the double cut (when its a little high). Would I be able to put 2 blades on the shoot side while leaving one blade on the other 2 spindles? (48") Would that be harder on the mower then running all doubles? Or would it offset the balence and weight distribution?

Pretty much just asking would this do me any justice hence not wearing out the motor running all doubles?

Rob.

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

no expert here but I think you would want to keep it the same on all spindles. This year I went with standard high lift on bottom and mulching gators on top with my 48" Toro WB -it has the 14HP Kawi (I think its 14). Talk about pulverizing the blades of grass into nothing. Its a lot louder now with the double blades but the engine doesn't seem to mind and its 5 years old.

3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Wouldn't the spindle with the doubles cut slightly lower than the other 2 spindles with the singles?

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You put a washer on the other two spindles to keep everything level.

5. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

didn't think of that

6. John Gamba

from ct

I kept it short i had a phone call-----Get two washers the thickness of the blades, then take the washers and put them on top of the two blades then tighten the bolts.

I'm not saying to do this but its what i have done.

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll stick to doubles on all spindles. I don't think I would like the results of just one spindle doubled.

8. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

It Will Take More To Turn The Spindle And Will Be Slower Than The Other Two Blades / Spindle You Would Cut More Grass With The 2 X Blade Your Belt Is Where You Would See The Wear . I Don't Think You Would Hurt The Spindle You Would Have To Use A Washer On Top Of Your Blade. Why Do You Want To Do That?

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

That was my thoughts also.

10. John Gamba

from ct

people have been doing it to bag for years. Thats side bagging.