Double blades shorten engine life??????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Oct 19, 2000.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

As I run double blades one question I always wondered is if the extra weight ,which causes the engine to workharder is cutting down on engine life.....any experinces?
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I would imagine it would cut down on the engine life and the belts and the spindles. But how would you tell by how much?. Who knows. I would be hard to even guess.
  3. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

That is my feeling to but i have to agree who knows by how much, I only run them in the spring and fall...Kinda makes you think.....
  4. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

A mower should be able to take an extra set of blades, if not, WIMPY MOWER. An engine should be able to take the extra load from the blades, the engines should be made to take a load. Ask Eric@ELM about his engines and spindles-he's run his for 12 years.
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It is sort of like asking, does it shorten the life of your truck pulling 2 lawnmowers more than if I only pulled one on a trailer? It may shorten it a bit, but not much. I now have almost 3,200 hours on a Kohler 22 that has powered double blades only. I've never used single blades on either one of my Dixie Choppers or the first 2 that I had either. I hope this helps.
  6. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

What happens if you have double blades and a velke?