double blades with a 21" Toro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wolfpacklawn, Mar 12, 2002.

1. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

I've read about using double blades but this is usually with 36" wb or larger mowers. Has anyone used doubles with a 21"? Thank you for any help.
  2. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

I have a Toro 21" personal pace. I put doubles on it, It Had way to much blowout to really be used. I dont know...... try it and see what you think.
  3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i get good results but lots of blowout from dbls on 21''s

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Snapper sells a blade called a Ninja. It is basically a double-decker blade in one piece. You could try and modify one to fit the Toro. They are excellent mulching blades. The best I've used.
  5. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Most new hondas come with 2 blades but personaly I had a crapsman way back that did a better job.
  6. AustinJ

AustinJ LawnSite Member

I'm interested in running doubles on a 21" Toro Pro-Line as well. My question, though, is how do you guys attache both blades? On my Toro, there are 2 bolts to hold the blade on, not just 1 in the center, so this seems to complicate things. Some people have told me their Toros just have the single bolt in the center, so maybe that's something that varies by model? Also, any experience with different blade combos? I was thinking of trying the standard Toro blade with their Atomic (gator) blade on top. What other kinds of blades have people tried? Thanks for the info!
  7. toby

toby LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Which model Proline has 2 bolts? I have 2 ProLine both with single centre bolts.
    Run a Toro Gator on top & LB gator on bottom. Can't run 2 Toro blades because of the lip on the Toro blade.
  8. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i had the same problem with my lawnboy blade's lipped edges, so i got a gator type blade on the top and a lb blade on the bottom , btw it also has a 2 bolt system because of the bbc
  9. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I own one 3 year old 21" toro proline with 2 cycle 4.5 hp suzuki with bbc and just got a 2002 proline with the new 5.5 hp suzuki with bbc and both have the double bolts through the blade with a blade cup to aid in holding them in place. I too have not found a way to use double blades. I would like to hear from anybody that has used the new toro atomic blade.
  10. AustinJ

AustinJ LawnSite Member

So it sounds like the double bolts might be unique to the BBC models. So Vipermanz, if I read your post right, have you run double blades on a double-bolt-BBC style setup? Or did I misread that? (quite possible, it's kind of past my bedtime...;) )