Double blades with mulching kit ideas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Oct 26, 2007.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a Gravely 144z I just put the mulching kit back on. (excellent fast mounting way of doing it, btw, just 3 pieces with bolts already attached to baffles).

Anyway, just like I experienced in a test late last year, the unit mulches grass cleanly but just does not seem to suck up leaves as well as my Exmark units. Even the little 32" toro (exmark deck) does a better job. My lazer sucks up sticks even. Anything not dry and sitting on top of the turf is likely to get missed by the Gravely.

Is there a combination of mulch/high lift /gator type blades to double up and use to get more suction or is it just an airflow problem due to the deck design? Or would it actually hurt by putting the bottom cutting blades even lower in the deck and raising the outter deck edges relative to the blades, losing losing lift due to the lack of a seal there against the grass?

Unfortunately I'm out of uncut turf to test it on and my own lawn was seeded and I can't play around with it.

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Way too much blowout with stock mulching blades doubled with a set of Exmark high lifts, as expected. Exmark mulching blades have a bigger sail, put on a pair, and suction is adequate now, if not spectacular. Virtually no blowout now when mulching with this machine, which I like a lot.

3. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

funny thread i just put my mulch kit back on my scag tiger cub-i run double gator blades and it mulches like coffee grinds-even wet grass

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You run double blades with the outlet closed? What hp are you running? I guess you got the two belt deck design?

5. lawnjockey56

yeah and have had no troubles-19 hp kawi

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I run a single blade setup and don't have all the baffles installed and it gives a pretty good cut. Thought that the load would be very high with double blades in wet conditions?

7. lawnjockey56

if its real wet i throw it out the side with my other mower

8. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

try double gators

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

on my 60's, I run 20.5 mulch blades then 10" or 16" mulch blades on top, on the 72, we run 24.5" and 16" mulch blades on top.

10. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

Wriken, thats a cool idea how well does it work though?