Double blades worked!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Apr 10, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I picked up a set of gator's this morning before I mowed all the lawns and put them on bottom with my regular lifts on top and it did good! I didn't have alot of high growth just summer like growth but no clumping at all! Good mulching and good discharging. Didn't suck alot more horsepower, it will be better once I get a tach and play with the RPM's alittle. The main things the doubles did for me was:

1) better discharging with no clumping
    2) cleaner cut in overgrown areas (had a couple spots...)
    3) shredded some leftover leaves pretty good
    4) striped better than with high lifts!

I did have some good pics but the camera got wiped out :cry:
    I have the blades set all the way up in the deck, and didn't get any more blowout than with high lifts even with OCDC closed. Once my yard grows some I'll get three different sections cut, one with just high lifts, one with just gators and one with doubles! :blob4:

2. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I could be wrong BHB, but I've always put the gators on top and the high lifts on the bottom (closest to the ground). Glad to see you like doubles. Good luck!!

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

What's your point????
    So, in other words, you're telling us what we've been trying to "you" for years????? Frankly, there's been so many posts praising doubles I've lost count. You did read them, right????
    Pete

4. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

BHB, change them around and put high lifts on the bottom and gators on top.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Glad they worked out for you. I would also suggest that you might want to try changing the setup around.

Gravely_Man

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ya Pete but I haven't had a chance to try them on commercial equipment until now.. they didn't work on homeowner equipment.

I put Gator's on bottom because they were new and I didn't have time to sharpen the high lifts! I will sharpen both sets and switch them around to see if it makes a difference but I don't see how it would???

They bog down more in taller thicker stuff but no clumping!! Need to get a tach...

7. Doc Pete

Actually, you may have done it the right way. If you put the Gators on top, make sure the "sail" doesn't hit any of the baffles in the deck...I already did that!!:blush: :blush:
    Pete

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch...I bet that was kind of loud Pete. Must have done a nice number on the baffle and the blade tip, huh?

9. Doc Pete

Errr............ for about 10 seconds:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: OUCH...............

10. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have had no problems with the blades I run on my ZHP-52 in a mulching set up. I do have clumping of material. Will doubles reduce or eliminate this??

If so, any special way to put them on?

R
    Gary