Double blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gartj, May 1, 2005.

1. gartj

gartj LawnSite Member

I keep hearing the term double blading. I looked on the search but to know avail. What is it? What are the benefits? How is it done (assembled?) Thanks for input in advance.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

There are 1,000's of threads on here about running doubles. It is basically exactly what it says. You run 2 blades in an X or + pattern depending on which you prefer and the serve to "double cut" the clippings so to speak to discharge small fine clippings. Most folks use a combo of High Lifts and Mulching blades such as gators.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

4. gartj

gartj LawnSite Member

Thanks Lawn-Scapes it sure makes it easier to have some direction like that than to have to look over the 1000's of posts to find the actual info. that I requested. Another question though. If you run this setup is there more of a chance of breaking the bolt since more of it is sticking out? And is it better to run the mulch blade on top and the high lift blade on the bottom? Thanks again.

5. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have never broken any bolts from running doubles. I use gators over standards.

6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

let me get this straight because i wasn't too sure on the subject either.
    Is there a special assembly you get to run doubles or just put them on?

7. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

You just put em on!

eXmark double blades.JPG

8. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

High lift on bottom, mulching blades on top. :cool:

9. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

Other than creating more air flow. I never have understood the benefits of running doubles. I would think that there would be more strees put on the spindals. Maybe I'm wrong because you can order Encore Prowlers already equiped with doubles from the factory

10. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Some mowers have a cradle in which the blade sits in. My older Toro does. You might have to put a washer in between the blades so theres no gap between the blades.