Double Blades ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorelinelawn, Apr 23, 2001.

1. shorelinelawn

shorelinelawn LawnSite Member

In some of these here posts, I've seen a reference to " double blades " Does this mean putting 2 blades on each spindle ?? What is benefit? What is down sidee ? Type of blade to use ( high lift, standard, mulch etc ) .
    Sounds like it might be a good idea !
    Love this website !!!!!

2. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Guntruck is right, click on the search icon atop of the page and type in double blades into the "keywords" section. You will find tons of info. Eric's site will also tell you all about them.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If you don't like using the search feature, I have 76 search items on my website for you members. Just click on the item you want to know about and it automatically takes you to a whole bunch of threads on each subject.

There are so many double blade threads that I have 2 seach items for this subject. ;)

This link is on my home page under Lawnsite links. For the new people, click the little red house below.

5. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

Eric is the king at this no doubt about it. Try it it works great and your lawns will look super!

6. shorelinelawn

shorelinelawn LawnSite Member

OK I'll try on Wednesday when I cut next.
    Thanks to all for suggestions !!!

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Just curious- what does this extra weight do to electric clutches? anyone doing this on Grasshoppers? Dave

8. Vintage

Vintage LawnSite Member

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You don't have to use the bracket. I didn't use a bracket for 11 years and I just got one set last season to try them. It will keep them in the + possition even if you hit something solid, but you can get by without them.

The only place I know of that handles the bracket is Dixie Chopper. It has a 5/8" hole in it, so if your blade bolts are that size, they should work. Try the doubles without to see if you like them first. If you hit something solid, it will move one or more blades, but just loosen the bolts and fix them.

10. Vintage

Vintage LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick response Eric!
    I will give it a try next week.