1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Double blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadsLawn, May 3, 2001.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone tried the double blades on a Kees ZTR.My dealer said they would burn my PTO clutch and they would out alot of stress on my spindles.
    I want to try them,but i dont want to end up replacing PTO clutch and spindles.

Also do i need the adaptor like the chopper.

Thanks for any info

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ill tell you at the start that no manufacturer or dealer will endorse doubles. so it on you to do it or not.
    i can tell you that there are many pros that have been using them for yrs. some others say no.
    as for me . i lke what it does all around. yes the kees is well built enough to handle doubles.ive only owned one but it was a tuff machine. good luck
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The only mfg that I know of that will honor a spindle waranty issue is Dixie Chopper. They make the double blade bracket and stand behind their spindles. I have used them for the past 12 years on John Deere with an electric clutch and on all of my Choppers. I have only replaced one set of bearings on one spindle in the past 12 years, so it can't affect spindles that much. ;)

I also have never replaced the electric clutch on the JD 430 either, so it can't affect them that much either. Of course I engage it at an idle, but gas engines don't have the torque that the diesel has, so that might make a difference too. The Choppers have a hand clutch, so I can engage the blades at an idle with them too. Hope this helps.
  4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got another set for the tiger cub and put them on. I wasn't really thinking about it when I bought them, but now I've got 2 sets of sand-slingers (high-lift, for those of you that aren't in the area) on my mower. I think if I turned the mower upside dow, I would talk off ...

Can't WAIT to see how they do!!
  5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

eric, i talked to the hustler rep. from on here and i asked him about running doubles on his machine, and he basically said to run tham it won't hurt the spindle since its steel. he said down the road i would have to replace mine sooner or later on my exmark since they have alumini (spelling) spindles. but at only $40 a spindle i say it well worth it.

i have been cutting all year with double except teus. of this week. grass was perfect for cutting, and with jusr gators on i had to bag it the second time because i knew it wouldn't beable to make the yard look perfect. since i started to use doub;e i have only had to bag about 10 days this whole spring so far. thanks eric elm
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you think about it there really should be no additional stress imposed on the spindles due to having double blades as long as they are balanced. It isn't like the spindle is slinging the blades around. The blades are rotated from the center of the blade. The only parts that may be affected would be the pulleys, the belts and the clutch. And the pulleys and the belts would have no greater stress on them than if you were to all of a sudden run into thick grass.
  7. ChadsLawn

$40 a spindle?? hook me up with that.My spindles are $250 each
  8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My guess is that the bearings are that price, not the whole spindle. I know aluminum spindles are cheaper, but I didn't know they were that much cheaper.
  9. ChadsLawn

my spindles are aluminum. At $250 a pop i dont run over too many hard objects,meaning stuff like sticks..
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

are we saying pure aluminum spindles on exmark
    or steel or cast sleeve.???