Double blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AllanP, Aug 8, 2006.

1. AllanP

AllanP LawnSite Member

I am going to try double blading my mower for cutting Pensicola bahia. I had read somewhere that someone was using high lift blades and flat blades together. I couldnt get a flat blade so I thought I would try 2 medium lift blades on each spindle. Will 2 medium lift blades equal one high lift (flow) blade.
    Also how do you think this will do?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

IMO double are very bad for your mower. It puts tremendous stress on the blade clutch, blade belt and spindles. Expect your clutch to go bad in less than half the time it would have normaly taken.

3. tru turf

tru turf LawnSite Member

i did that for one week after that i was putting all new spindles in the next week! good luck.:waving:

4. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

We use doubles on our Wright Standers and have for over a year with no abnormal spindle wear. We use a gator blade over a high lift. Again these are relatively new mowers 2005 and 2006, but both have used doubles from the time we purchased them to date.

5. waffletown20

waffletown20 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Doubles are really hit or miss depending on the type of mower you have. Search for doubles and your type of mower and see if people have had problems or success with them.

6. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You will see a HP loss with doubles. I tried for the last couple of years and this year I went w/ just a single and am happier w/ the HP output. I think it's mostly mental. But I just got off my lazy and start sharpening more often.