Double Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by muxx, Jun 6, 2001.

1. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

Has anyone else had trouble with the double blades on the Lazers? I tried them on the new deisels and the top set bent, slowed the power way down. Any suggestions, other than not run them?

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What did you hit to bend a blade? Double blades will not cause a blade to bend!

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have used double blades for the past 12 years and I have never bent the upper or lower blades. I have used them on 3 different mowers with diesel engines and 3 different mowers with gas engines. The only combination of blades that pulls down my newest diesel, is double high lift blades. Now that will make it pull and that's what I have been running the past couple weeks with all this rain. :)

Trying to do 2 days mowing in one about wore my old bones out today. :(

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

running double highlifts on my tiger cub now. No benders. Only problem that I have is the sand wearing them down to nothing in a month. :(

5. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

We haven't hit anything, the top blades just bent down wards on both ends on all three blades. I was using double hi lift blades. Is there another combo I should use?

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

you must have some more kinda blade tip speed.
    see if you can get a picture of this.
    oh ,you just joking right.had me for a second .later

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

When it is dry, I use a highlift and a Gator or Mulcher blade set up. When it is wet, I use double highlifts on the diesel and double regular lifts on the old one. At over 3,400 hours, it's too tired to turn double highlifts. :)

The reason I don't use a Gator blade when it is wet, it makes the clippings wad up at times in thick tall grass if it's wet. The other blades I mentioned, the notched foils are twisted outward instead of inward like a Gator, so these blades tend to throw the clippings out better than Gators. Just my opinion. :)

The blade I'm talking about, I have a picture of it on my double blade page on my website.

8. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

I'm running doubles on my Lazer, it is a 23hp Liquid cooled. I have no problems. I'm also running them on my 48" Turf Tracer without problems. Good Luck:D

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Muxx,

All, or most for that matter 60" blades "frown" meaning that the tips cut lower than the rest of the edge. I once got aftermarket blades that didn't "frown" and the cutting height raised almost 1/4", plus it didn't cut as well. Your not bending them, they come that way!

Good Luck!

10. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

:( :cool: :(

We need some mower 'smilies' for posts.