1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Double blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by noz77, Oct 24, 2006.

1. noz77

noz77 LawnSite Member

I am curious about the double blade idea! Do you use spacers between the blades? Are they lined up with each other? Is this good all season long? Does anyone have a pic of this concept?

2. cadzilla500

cadzilla500 LawnSite Member

Use the dixie chopper "X-Blades", measure yours and find the right length. You will be impressed with the results.

Speaking of which, I run them on my Dixie with the manual clutch. Would a Great Dane's electric clutch be okay with double blades?
  3. noz77

noz77 LawnSite Member

I am running an Lazer Z with electric clutch. Would this be a problem?
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No.,..and no, you don't use a spacer between the blades. This lessens the friction and makes the blades come out of the perpendicular pattern easier if something is hit. Do a search and I'll guarantee you you'll come up with two days worth the reading that will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know on this subject.
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You beat me to it Runner:( NO you never put a spacer between the two:nono: :nono:
  6. noz77

noz77 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help! I am going to do some reading on it.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL! Well, it's ABOUT time! Usually it's the other way around - between you and PM!:rolleyes:
  8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

2 years running doubles hasn't hurt my elect. clutch.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

When running doubles, engage pto at 1/2 rpm's...then bring it up to max before you begin to mow, etc.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And the most important thing pertaining to clutch wear, is that you throttle all the way down, and let the blades slow all the way down before DISengaging. THIS is what saves the airgap on your clutch!