1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Double Blades ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2G&D, Feb 27, 2007.

1. 2G&D

2G&D LawnSite Member

Hey guys. Let me say first that this is my third year mowing...I have a lot left to learn. I have read and read since I found this site the first of this year. I have noticed a lot of new guys with a lot of confidence in their posts...also I have seen some questions that I thought were very elementary to me...

This is my first thread so maybe I will fall into one of those categories. I hope this is an intelligent and well thought out question. Here goes...

I have read about doubling the blades...I don't understand exactly what is meant by this....

1. How is this down safely ?

2. What is the intended purpose ?

3. In what application would an LCO use this technique ?

4. Is there another way to accomplish the same thing ?

I respect the experience that is shared. Right now I want to learn and absorb the willingness to share and maybe soon I might have something to share after I am more qualified.

Thank you.
  2. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that it would cause the deck bearing to wear out prematurely. I think people do this so they do not have to bag the clippings. Hope my .02 helps.
  3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Its alot of extra wear and tear on the mower. Spindles, engines, bearings, everything is working overtime when you are running 2 blades. I dont recommend it.
  4. GLLawns

GLLawns LawnSite Member

If mowers were meant to have doubles on each spindle the factory would already be doing this. I'm sure that doing this would also void any warranty left on the machine as well.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oh boy....This must be a whole new generation on here. First, double blades do NOT hurt the mower when ran properly. As a matter of fact, some manufacturers even devised setups for this. As far as the warranty goes, I can't speak for all manufacturers, but I do know that with Exmark, it has no effect on the warranty at all. There are hours and hours of reading on here regarding this subject and virtually and literally EVERY aspect of this subject has been covered. Everything from how to do it, to different blade configurations of different types of blades, their uses, and their results. there are also safety issues that have been addressed regarding bolt length compensation for this. We've been running doubles for several years now on different mowers, and for different conditions. We've had no trouble in any excessive wear on any of the machines.
  6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Ya, Runner you're dead on here. Running doubles is a great way to increase mulching capabilities and get a finer cut in thick rough conditions. In order to run doubles, simply set one blade over the other at a 90 deg angle, and tighten down. I like running gator, or atomic blades over stock. You can also pack a bag like a brick running doubles.
    Our spindles go over 3,000 hrs. What wears out spindles is running unbalanced blades, or bad seals letting dirt or water in.
    Proof is in the pudding, wanna know if it works, try it.
  7. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

To each his own. I ran Scag for months with double blades on it and the manfacturer voided my warranty after I blew out a spindle after 5 months. I also went through 3 different belts in a matter of 5 months. After that I had it all replaced, went back to single blades and everything was fine.
  8. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

my dealer is putting doubles on my Warriior as we speak...
  9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Finally someone with a brain!! lol :laugh: j/k