Double Blades??????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awagner9, Aug 13, 2007.

1. awagner9

awagner9 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW,Ohio

First I have a 07 Scag Wild cat 61" with 30 hp kolher. I assume I have plenty of power to use doubles. What is the best way to set them up and do I have to worry about blades coming off? What angle do I put the blades? And is it really worth it? Thanks Alex

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A few folks swear by it, but my attitude is, if this was such a good idea then why aren't all the mfg's making them like this in the first place?

I don't do it, I don't think much is gained, insofar as investing my time into the cut quality, I can think of many other adjustments that might could use doing. I find NO mower is ever 'ready to go,' thou I did find some used ones are actually readier than the new ones, maybe so because someone adjusted it right, but who knows. Dealers assemble the machine, one spec fits all, I would not recommend taking this out before going over the machine in it's entirety.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i aslo feel if this setup is so good -they would come from the factroy with them. it must shorten clutch and spindle life. with the extra drag

4. awagner9

awagner9 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW,Ohio

This is all some people run and they say it destroyes leaves. One account I have they treat thier lawn at least six times a year. With the rain we just got. I'm leaving grass on top. Lawn is about 2 acres. So bagging not an option. And they also only want it cut once a week. The way some talk this would cut down on yard waste.

5. growabiz

growabiz LawnSite Member

Be careful of unnecessary damage to spindle housings. They are designed for certain standards, excess weight, unbalanced blades lead to premature failure.

Be careful. You also may be setting yourself and your employees up for liability and warranty problems.

6. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

As for the Scag, buy the Hurricane mulch kit. You will not be sorry. BTW, Walker just came out with their NEW 42 inch mulch deck. If you remember they USED to use double blades but their new deck design does not have double blades. To be honest it looks more like your standard 21 inch mulch blade. NO gator teeth or anything extremely aggressive looking about it, but it does an AWESOME job!!! Dean Walker, Bob's brother, spent about 4 years (if I'm not mistaken) designing this deck and said he tried EVERY mulching blade out their, including some that weren't. End result, single did better than double in this case...

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have been running doubles for years, no problems, no extra belt wear, no replaced spindles, nothing. It improves discharge distance, finer clippings and does destroy leaves although I now use Meg-mos for leaves.

D

8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Try running doubles. You can always easily take them off. I have only had one spindle go bad in the last 10 years. Solo op here using machines that are up to 5 years old. I don't think doubles will affect a Scag spindle at all.

9. Yard-Ape

Yard-Ape LawnSite Member

I use a Dixie Chopper and am looking to try a double blade setup soon to help chop up the discharge a little finer. Most of our grass here is St. Augustine and is growing like crazy right now. It's not uncommon to cut 3 -4" of growth in just a week.

Not sure on the Scag, but I certainly don't buy into the gloom and doom scenarios of ruining belts, spindles, etc. with the Chopper. Doubled X-Blades are a factory option for any chopper and if you would rather double up regular, high lift, or a cobination of these and gators, Dixie sells a double blade kit that holds the two blades in a "+" fashion. Most people just double them up and tighten and swear that you have to really hit something substantial to offset the blades without any special adapters.

10. bsalter5

bsalter5 LawnSite Member

I can see where spinning up two blades could cause more wear on the clutch, but doubt it is too significant. Once two blades are spooled up, their inertia will make them harder to slow down, which could extend the clutch or belt life a touch. I'm careful to engage the blades with the engine around 1.2 throttle hoping to minimize clutch loading.

Regarding spindle bearings, doubles won't, or shouldn't increase side loads at all. I can't see where balance is any more of an issue that with single blades either. The extra blade weight, along with a bit more lift (two blades generating lift rather than one), will put some additional down force (axial thrust) on the spindle. If you have tapered roller bearings in your spindle, you have nothing to fear. Ball bearing spindles, on the other hand, might not like the extra load, and could wear a little faster. Ball bearings are inherently poor at resisting axial loads.

I'm currently playing around with one high lift and one mulching blade on each spindle. It seems to work pretty well, but I haven't convinced myself it is better than two "regular" or one "regular" and one high lift blade on each spindle.

My next test might be with two mulching blades - I didn't like the way a single mulching blade worked as much as any of my double combos.

bes