1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Double Blades!?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KPM, Jan 5, 2009.

1. KPM

KPM LawnSite Member

Heard it through the grape vine that it is quicker and a nicer cut to run 2 blades per shaft in an "X" shape. So on my Scags instead of the 3 blades it would run 6! Any wise info on this and how often soes everyone sharpen their blades..Im doing it about every 3-5days

2. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

hmmmm, I've NEVER seen or heard of anybody do that before

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

When I used to work for an LCO, we would run X blades on the 72" Dixie Chopper. The 27 horse Generac a little problems running that many blades. You did notice a cleaner first cut and all material was chopped extremely well.

I would be sketchy about running an X blade on just any mower. I would need to be confident that the horses, motor, and spindle size were all commercial strength.

Do a search of the threads, it's been discussed many times before.

4. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My honda's have dual blades, but it was designed and made that way, not sure if I would modify a mower to run this way, You'd wanna make sure everything is perfectly balanced as well.

5. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

if you want "x blades" look into meg mo blades!

6. All Season Lawn Care

All Season Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I ran 2blades in a X shape on my 36 exmark so we would not have to double cut backyards and it worked great the guy I sold the mower to still runs it and he also said he like it! Im sure it is a little harder on the machine but it did make a great first cut

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Double blades draw extra power. Meg-Mo blades draw more power than a double blade set up.

8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

I luv my double blades....nofear.

9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I run doubles off and on with with all my Toros, I like gator blades over high lift blades.

If you do a search, you will find many threads on this topic, some people praising the practice, others condemning it. Try it out, it works very well with some decks.

10. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I run x blades and a high lift blade on my 48 in great dane, the x blades are custom, meaning there cut dwn to size because they dnt have 48 in. x's. they work great for me, the mower puts dwn greaaaaat stripes, it did the stripes in my profile pic.