Double blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowingbtyard, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mowingbtyard

mowingbtyard LawnSite Member

I have read alot about running dual blades. Can anyone give me pros and cons? I have a couple of exmark walkbehinds and would like to try duals but don't know how to install them or what kind of blades. Also what about safety? When installing do I leave out one of the washers on the blade assembly or what? Any help is appreciated.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I know there's been alot of threads about double blades, however, I'd like to ask a specific question ... is there an after market part that can be purchased to act as a spacer between the 2 blades on a spindle ?? Something similar to the Dixie Chopper X-Blade attachment.

4. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

A few washers should do the trick!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. dwost

Why?.........

6. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering the same thing, why put a spacer on ?

7. dwost

exactly..............there is no need.............cross em up and let em rip :)

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Simply out of concern that if I were to hit something without having anything to hold the 2 blades in place ... they could possibly come out of alignment causing the blades to do some damage under the deck, or, to the spindle !!

Concerning the spacer, maybe that's the wrong term to use ... but something to hold the blades in place at the 90 degree angle while they're on the spindle in case you hit something.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  9. dwost

You can tack weld them if you are concerned. I've run them for years without any issue to the blades or spindles. I've even bottomed out one of the blades causing them to rotate and the only damage was to the blade edge that a quick sharpening fixed. I wouldn't worry about it.

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

is their any real need for duals tho?? whats the advantage?