Double blades ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Grass, Oct 16, 2002.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scag 32" WB and was wondering about adding a mulch-plate and double blades.

What type of blades and how? I have high lift blades right now...

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

3. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Doubles will lower your cut???

4. Envy Lawn Service

Maybe just a hair. But it really depends on the style of blade ran on the bottom and rather or not you run spacers between them ect. For instance, if you took 2 pairs of the exact same blades you are running now, and no spacers, the cut would be lowered by the thickness of the upper blade, which isn't very much.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Doubles what can I say other then "try it you'll like it?" Yes it does lower the cut but as mentioned it is just the thickness of the top blade. Do a search on this you and will find more info about this subject then you can read in one day.

Gravely_Man

6. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to say: **** ****. ** ***** ** *** ***** **!

** ***** ** * **** * ****** ********* **** *!!!!

7. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

doubles and a mulch plate don't work right. doubles will mess up the air flow too much and give alot of blow out. doubles are ment for discharging not mulching. stick to either gators or reg mulch blades to run with a mulch kit or mulch plate.

Scot

8. Envy Lawn Service

Scot,

There are far too many factors to consider to make a blunt statement that goes across the board for all doubles on all mowers.

Like the Gators themselves, they only mulch well on my mower in certain conditions. I am only running them on top now because they do a good job keeping the deck clean.