double blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jlutsey, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Jlutsey

Jlutsey LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    I've been reading a lot about what i think is people doubling up the blades on their mowers. Are you putting two blades on the same spindle in a cross shape? Just want to make sure i'm understanding this correctly. The advantage is obvious but i didn't know it was possible.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

You have to have a special "X" blade for your mower. It basically is contoured to allow the other blade to over-lap and keep it in place.

3. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, just double 'em up in a + pattern and tighten them down. There are special adapters but they are not necessary. Give it a try.

Q

4. Jlutsey

Jlutsey LawnSite Member

gotcha....are they worth the extra money and where would they outperform normal blades? High grass, thick grass.....i need a good blade for bahaia on a ferris is3100.....

5. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

Doesnt cost anything extra, just need to have 2 sets of blades. I run doubles in the fall the most. A high lift on the bottom, and a gator on top of that. The high lift pulls the leaves up out of the grass, and the gator shreds. I have no special piece to hold them. When the spindles are tight they do not move.

6. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

hmmm......wouldn't this use more hp?

7. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

That is what I read on here, but even with only a 15hp engine it works a lot better as far as I am concerned.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

also shorten the life of spindles and clutch

9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Take a look at the Meg Mo blades. They pull easier and are 100% balance when running. Stay sharp 8 to 10 times longer /out wear 3 to 5 sets of what you are using. No lumps or clumps wet or dry. Then replacement knives are only $4.95@ .No bearing problems any more. Haven't put a bearing in a spindle in 19 years.

10. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have a website or more info?