Double blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TaussigLawnCare, Apr 13, 2003.

1. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

Hey I have heard some of you talking about the double blades and stuff how do you install those what is the best way to do all that. I have regular blades on my toros now and I just took off my gators cause they weren't cutting wet stuff as good. So should I put the regular on the bottom then a spacer then the gator or what email me with tips or whatever cause I am way to busy to get on here very regular anymore lol it 2 am right now thanks everyone I have learned alot from this site
  2. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Derek,
    When you use doubles, you need to eliminate the spacer because the extra blade uses up that space. You can install the blades right up against each other with nothing separating them. If you want to be sure the blades stay in a perfect + pattern, you can pick up a double blade bracket at your local Dixie Chopper dealer.
    You are correct about the gator blades. They are designed for shredding, not cutting, so trying to mow with gators only will usually provide you with a less than desirable cut. When I double with gators, I place them on top.
  3. TaussigLawnCare

Thanks that sounds awesome I don't have a dixie dealer within a few hundred miles so that won't work but I will experement some and see what works for me.
    Thanks again anymore tips wanted I will take anything to make my yards look the best.
  4. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Derek when running doubles on the toros you need a washer because of the craddels depth, Ive been running them on my Z-Master 62 now for three plus yrs and they cut great, I always put a gator on top and regular mid-lifts on bottom, plus you don't have to sharpen the top blade for aleast 4 days, its just helping the clipings discharge finer.....Marks Mowing Service

business pictures 075.jpg
  5. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) This was my first cut on this lawn this yr, it was around 8" tall the doubles did a fine job with no double cutting....Marks Mowing Service

business pictures 083.jpg
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

They are worth a try, from what I remember you have a big enough company you probably have alot of extra blades laying around anyway :D

Personally I like them, they help striping, reduce/elminate clumping, chop up clippings better, give cleaner cut etc. You need to watch RPM's, belt tension and engage clutch slowly if manual, or at as low RPM as possible if electric (manual clutch preferred for doubles).

Good luck!
  7. TaussigLawnCare

Yup I put gators on all my mowers last fall and then this spring they mowed wet grass terrible so I took em all off. Shoot I got like at least 50 blades laying in a box at the shop I don't even know what alot of them are for lol oh well. I put the blades on yesterday and I didn't put a spacer in between them or anything and it worked fine I didn't mow any real nice yards so couldn't tell how much nicer they mow but I could tell how good they ground stuff up. I also put a chain striper on my 44 toro and it worked okay.