double blades???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steve in Pa., Jul 22, 2003.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard you guys talking about doubleing up blades. what is the benefits of doing so and the cons about it????

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

double blades work well if u need more lift... conversly if u have adequate lift,
    they can cause blowback.. . this sometimes causes the mower to miss higher blades of grass ,weed etc,as they are pushed dn,by the air hitting the top of the deck and creating a downforce as it comes back dn...
    in short try it ... it works with some ...
    also if u mulch leaves in fall ,doubles really are a plus in that area... on my mower,,anyway.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Doubles can sometimes provide a better cut at higher speeds provided you have enough power. They also can chop clippings finer and discharge better (less clumps, better dispersal). Get a set of gator blades and put them on top of your high lift blades, put them in a + pattern and tighten the blade bolt as you normally would. You don't need a special bracket. In summer growth I've not needed doubles but they help in heavy wet spring growth. Oh my eXmark does great with regular high lift blades, haven't tried doubles on it but it takes tall wet grass no problem at full speed! The Scag does fine with single high lifts as well. Old Scag decks nowhere close to the eXmark deck but thats another story. I ran gator over high lift this spring on the Scag with good success in high growth and it's only 14hp for 52" hydro with a sulky. Granted you have to slow down a bit but you won't have to double or triple cut, still saves time and wear and compaction on the lawn.

In short- doubles work good in some applications but they do require a bit more power.

4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Do some searches on this site for doubles, blades, etc. This has been covered and answered many times. Lot of info here on this.