double blades

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by stp4345, Sep 25, 2003.

1. stp4345

stp4345 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Pj or other inquiries,

I talked to our area dealer he dosnt recommned stacking blades,
    Will they wear out pulleys and belts? And is it to much load. and what keeps them from turning on top of each other. I was consindering trying them out but I'm not sure, any input from any one would help with my disission.

Thank You! stp4345

p.s. If I go with it, do I have to extend the bolt length

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You can run doubles on the Hustler with out any problems.
    You need to try a few different combos to see which works best for you.
    There is nothing to stop them from moving on each other.
    Yes, you will need a longer bolt.

Later
    Pj

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I have over 400 hours on my 48 WB and 300 on my 54 (with custom 25hp Kaw) and have no problems with anything, including clutches.
    Pete

4. hustler1

hustler1 LawnSite Member

So....on my super mini z can I have my brother weld a couple lips on the edge of another blade to stack the blades and have them stay in position? If so.....what kind of blades should I do and in which order in an effort to "pull" the grass up as much as possible to get a nce even cut? I try to stay away from striping cuts....I like it all sticking up straight up and even as do my customers. How would a muching kit affect such a system???

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Never would I recommend welding a blade, to much heat and it would also put it way out of balance.
    There are so many blade combos to use it can make you dizzy.
    There are several members here @ LS that run doubles and on many different brands and types of grasses.
    You need to find the combo that works best for you, in your conditions.
    As far as a mulch kit goes....I would run single Gator's and adjust my cutting height accordingly. (taking to much off while mulching may cause clumping or streaking)
    Hope this helps

Pj

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Just bolt one on top of the other at 90 degrees. they willl stay where they are unless you hit a big rock, then they will move a bit affecting nothing. When you sharpen the next time just install then at 90 degress again.....
    Pete