Double Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Redmowers, Oct 22, 2000.

1. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

I just installed double blades on my honda 48",seemed to work well on leaves.I tried fast throttle and lower throttle didn't seem to make a difference on air blowing leaves from under the deck,so I stayed at fast speed.I figure mowing one way the first time and changing direction the second time would eliminate any trace of leaves.Does the double blade setup work with a mulching setup ? I cant wait to try this just for mowing grass,It hardly leaves any trace of grass.Next season I will experiment with low lift and gator blades too see what works the best.I changed the spacer above the blades to a shorter one to compensate for the second blade,or could have I just left the spacer off completely ? The blades are slightly lower than normal,mabey a 1/16".It didn't seem to affect the load on the engine either.What a great idea whoever thought of it.

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Red,

Do a search on double blades and thank Eric ELM.

Thanks Eric !

jeffyr

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Hi Redmowers, this is Whoever thought of it. As I have said before, after cutting grass during a wet week and found out that it may rain for a second week straight, I decided to try putting on two blades on each spindle to see if I could make my old 332 John Deere 50" quit clumping as bad. It helped a lot and cut so much nicer, so I have continued using them for the past 13 seasons, now that this one is about over. I run doubles all season long. I may not be the first one to ever do this, but I had never heard of it when I tried it.

I normally put on a mulching kit on one of the Dixie Choppers each fall and it does a great job. It consists of 2 baffles that partially block of the left and middle blades. I have the choice of closing off the third blade with an OCDC, (Operator Controlled Discharge Chute) that is standard on all the deluxe model Dixie Choppers. I will probably put the kit on one soon now that the leaves are coming down a bit heavier. I also have a thing called Magic Mulchers that go on top of the double blades that extends up around the spindles with 2 short chains, to help chop leaves in that area of the deck. It also helps prevent build up of wet leaves on the top of the deck. I will also be putting this on one of them. I leave the OCDC open or partially blocked most of the time when chopping leaves. I hope this helps you figure your question out. Give it a try and see how it works for you with the mulcher.

4. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

Eric ELM ,does yours use a spacer above the blades?Where do you get the short chains above the blades ,aftermarket or dealer item .You will have to excuse some probably dumb questions kinda new to commercial walkbehind mowers ,not really aware what is out there and available. Next experiment is to make a screen to put over discharge chute for leaf mulching,I have some expanded steel to make one up quickly.Pro or cons on this experiment.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The Magic Mulcher kit is a dealer item only at DC, as far as I know. If you close off the discharge, leave holes in it for air to get out so air can get in under the deck or you will be blowing out leaves probably.

The DC's have a 1/2" spacer above the blades, I take them out.

6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Eric,

This past weekend I was driving along in NY State. Country backroads and huge office complexes off the beaten path. All of the sudden out of nowhere......these incredible green and silver stripes at an IBM complex. I can't beleive how much it actually stands out. I never realized how much of a difference it makes after seeing the same lawns week in and out since I started double blading. This caught me offguard (the light was falling just right to make the lines POP also). It had to be cut double bladed.

jeffyr