double blades

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ccorts, May 18, 2004.

1. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

I want to set up my Hustler 52/20 with double blades. I am confused as to the configuration. I would think that I would cross the blades (gator blade on top of stock blade)---like this "+". A "pro" told me I should just "stack" the blades, one on top of the other. Are both set-ups used and if so, which is the best way to go. Also, do I just torque down the bolt to keep them from twisting? Thanks a lot for comments, you all have been very helpful in the past. BTW, I asked the dealer about this and he did not know anything about running doubles!!! NO, really!!
  2. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

you had it right on your first comment. gator on top of stock in a "+" configuration. By "stacking" I'm sure they were referring to "stacking " the blades on top of one another in a "+" config. Sticking them the same direction on top of one another will be useless....:D Enjoy the results.......:D
  3. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Now this is on a Snapper push mower but, have you looked at their mulching blade?

The ninja mulching blade is X shaped, one blade.

Not sure how this would cut on a commercial mower but the common threads on this site state that doubles should be set at 90 degrees, like dwost said.
  4. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

Thanks for your info. I questioned the "stacking" one on top of the other, but really that is the method one "pro" told me to do it. It was only after reading some other posts that the "+" method seemed to make more sense.
  5. DylanG

DylanG LawnSite Member

What is the advantage of using double blades?
  6. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

bugspit, you could stack the blades in an "X" instead of a "+" but you aren't gaining anything by doing so. It's best to start it out in the + position and if they slip just readjust them.

DylanG, some of the benefits include:

-creates more suction or vacuum thus pulling the grass up under the deck and giving you a better, even cut. (this also will vary depending on the blade setup you use i.e. double hi-lifts, hi/med lift, hi/gator, etc...)

- Cuts thick, heavy wet grass better due to better air flow

- Chops up the clippings finer and provides better dispersion

- aids in striping due to the airflow

- it sounds really cool........this is obviously a joke, but it does sound as if I'm mowing with a helicopter. Make sure you are wearing your hearing protection!!! :D

Only downfall is this will rob you of some HP. I'm running a hi/gator setup on my 48" kawi 15 with a proslide and it has no issues even in the thick stuff. As for spindle life, I wouldn't be to worried about it. It may cause some additional wear, but not enough to cause major issue. Some Mfg. (Gravely, Dixie included) make brackets for running a double setup. My thinking is if they oem's are promoting it, they must be up to the test. Go experiment with a couple different setup's and see how it works out for you. I can almost guarantee that you won't switch back. It makes a big difference.

7. markjenna

markjenna LawnSite Member

Does stacking blades force you to adjust your deck height. Because of the extra blade, or the extra blade doesn't hang down enough. It has to hang down alittle, did you move your deck up to the next setting. 52/20 fastrak.
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You will need to adjust your deck height 1/4" higher when running doubles versus running singles. A gator blade is .240 thick and a standard highlift blade is .204 thick.
    .250 is 1/4"