Double Blades ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gl1200a, May 22, 2004.

1. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

What do you all mean when you talk about running double blades or two blades? Are you actually running two blades on each shaft? If so how do you stabilze the blades and keep them from moving over the top of each other to neutalize the advantage. And you also talk about one being a mulching blade of some type. Can you talk about the the set-up and the advantage of this and type of blades you use at what position oand why.

Thank you very much for the knowledge and help.

2. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

Running double blades is having two blades on one shaft. It ends up looking like a cross or +. We just use an impact wrench to tighten them and they never move.

We have an eXmark Metro and we run excalibur notched airfoils on the bottom and exmark mulching blades on top.

With two blades you can cut the grass into finer clippings. We side discharge and most of the time you can't see any clippings on the grass when we are done, only when it is very long do we have to double cut.

3. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you very much.

4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I like running double high lifts in the rain.

5. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

How long does your clutch last with doubles?

I ran them on my Z-master and the clutch went south at 500 hours. Is that normal clutch life for a Z or abuse. I have since switched back to one set of blades, didn't want to kill the spindles from beeing out of balance either.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

clutch life depends on a variety of things, engine the blades with no more rpm than required, half throttle at most. shut the pto down at idle. some clutches last from 500 hours to 1500, just really depends on the maintainance. kind of like a clutch in a manual transmission, the more you take care of it the longer it'll last.