1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Double Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nmf392, Mar 8, 2005.

1. nmf392

nmf392 LawnSite Member
    from Ma

I have been using just high lifts for the past 8 years now (7 with a company and 1 on my own. I own a Lesco 52" hydro and a 36" belt driven. I was thinking about using double blades from all the valuable info received on LS. My questions are: What is the best setup (gators on top of high lift, etc.) and will the 36" be able to handle the extra blades (power loss, spindle kill, etc.)? I'm looking to limit the bagging.
    Thanks for your input.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I don't feel the 36 can handle it, because isn't it a 15HP? I ran doubles for one day on a 32" 13HP before, notice how I said one day
  3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 48" Exmark Viking with a 15hp Kawasaki. Will this handle doubles? I've never tried them, I have been considering purchasing Meg-mos.
  4. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

Tiedman, I bought a 32in Gravely walk behind, picked up the double blade kit same day, installed and never had a problem. Its a 13hp Kaw and it cuts thicker, taller grass better than my 48 Exmark TThp w/17hp Kaw and doubles. Im not saying ur wrong, just stating my experience. When I think of it, that is the most amzing mower I have ever used. It should be called the Gravely MIGHTY MOUSE
  5. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

I would not advise using them (doubles) in the spring but you could surely use them once the super saturated growing season is over and in to fall. Like i said my 17 horse TThp bogs down w/doubles in thick grass
  6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

The MEG MO will work on a 14/15 hp engine. On our 36 exmark with a flex deck we did good and never leave clipping on the turf.
  7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply.
  8. nmf392

nmf392 LawnSite Member
    from Ma

thanks for your help
  9. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Who do you all get your blades from? Meg Mo or other. Is there a website you all prefer to get your blades from?
  10. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I used doubles all last spring. The best thing that I notice was the wind storm coming out of the side discharge shoot. It really spreads the heavy clumpy grass.

The down sides is it robs engine power. I have a 25 horse Kohler. Also It clogs the under side of the mower deck bad. I mean really bad. I run double high lifts so that might be why. Ones the deck clogs it mow's worse then a goat.

I'm going to run them again this year. Make sure there good and balanced. When I bolt them on, I just eye ball them in a square pattern. If I hit something then it usually throws one blade off into an X pattern. Expect to have to unbolt and readjust the blades if you hit something.