1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Double Cut/Billing ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bull454, May 10, 2006.

1. bull454

bull454 LawnSite Member

I have a property that everytime I mow it it has to be cut twice. I have this customer on a three day schedule. This guy loves his lawn and pays for it to look great. He is very very picky. Well two weeks ago I finshed mowin the Friday schedule and told him I would be back Tuesday. He went out of town and called me and said wait until next Friday. Said it really needs it cut on Tuesday but ok. Wait until Friday and it rained all day Thursday before and that Friday. So had to mow on the weekend between some showers get to his house on Monday. So long it took me seven cuts to make it look right.

Now my question is would have charged for all 7 cuts or just added a little more or would you have just billed him once?
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Since he is the one who made the change....an extra charge is in order.....but you probably should have told him that when he called you to make the change......

I have worked the price of double cutting in the spring into the weekly rate. So in the summer and early fall when I can cut very quickly and move on.....I am breaking even.... That does not cover customer's making schedule changes.....that can add charges.

3. If you let the customer set the schedule you're an employee. So charge them by the hour.
    When my customers demand something that takes extra time I have a flat labor rate I charge them. It's about what I'd make mowing lawns. (Well, it should be. My labor rate's $45/per man hour. I ought to raise it to $60)
    It's a win/win situation. The customer gets what they wanted done, I get paid for it.

Your customer definitely requested something that caused you extra labor ("wait till friday") and you should bill him accordingly.
    Otherwise you're an employee who will work for nothing.

BTW If you're mowing on Friday, then again next Tuesay, wouldn't that be a 4 day schedule?
  4. bull454

bull454 LawnSite Member

Well since there are seven days a week you space it because if you don't you are changing mowing days every week so it is every Tuesday and Friday. I didn't say what I did, I asked what you would do. Not looking for ways to run my business I doo just fine.

As far as him asking me to skip a mow. I don't usually do it but he gives me so much other business that yea I work with him. Its called you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours.

So yes I charged him for 5 of the seven and he knew why. I didn't charge the whole seven because I probably could have got by with 4 or 5 but I am very picky on how these places look that I take some extra time and that is why my prices are a little higher than most other LCO's. People understand why too. Their yard is my signature and I can't let other people see it looking like crap.
  5. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

7 cuts in one day seems a little much why didnt you just bag it? and maybe run over it again to clean the stripes up? 7 times come on
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You need to look at getting a better mower.....no machine should have to go over a lawn more than a couple times. Don't this grass have all kind of tracks from the mows....but you got a gold mine if grass can be cut every three days. Keep up the good work.