Double Cut Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Jan 2, 2004.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

When I am double cutting a lawn with a walk behind (Scag 52 in older model) should I raise the deck on my second cut.
    I’ve use walk behinds before on my golf course but that
    is cutting grass the was cut 1- 3 days ago. When I was mowing last year I had a
    lawn tractor with a side discharge and I would usually double cut so I would
    never leave any piles. I noticed when I am double cutting if I raise the deck a knoch it will clean up much better? so I do the same with my walk behinds,
    or are they usually pretty good when I’m mowing a taller lawn. I’ve never used a walk behind on residential lawns so are they good with not leaving piles of grass. I’m sure I will get all my answers in the first couple days I’m out mowing with it but I’d like to get out there with as much knowledge as possible.

2. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

If you use hi-lift blades and your machine fans the grass out of the chute nicely, you shouldn't have to raise the deck on the second pass in most cases.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

King
    Try useing TWO or Double blades on the discharge side of the deck. That should help, If raising the helps do that two.
    John

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We usually raise the Dixies but not the Walk-Behinds to double mow- simply because the Dixies are easier to change height and you can go a lot faster with the deck height up. Doubles are not entirely necessary and do not replace the use of SHARP blades.

5. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

When I mow really long thick grass and it leave piles (wind rows) then I will raise the deck one notch and go over it a second time. It does a good job cleaning up the lawn.

BUT I hate it!

Time is money and I get only paid to do it once.
    The problem is that is pure thatch you are forcing into the turf.
    When I dont bag I use double blades (very sharp) and that will chop the clippings so fine it will never leave a wind row. You will not get a thatch build up either. The decomposition process of the finer clippings is a lot faster as well, therefore you are putting a few nutrients back in the soil a lot sooner.

Good Luck
    PC

6. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

anytime i double cut, i always lift the deck. it disperses the clippings better.

7. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Ok thanks guys, just making sure it wasn't some thing that just my lawn tractor does. Will i have to not double cut for the most part with my walkbehind? I always did with my lawntractor just cuz then it looked perfect.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I rarely double cut, and I must be in the minority. I make the first pass the highest cut, then lower one setting for the second pass.

My thinking is as follows: I'm only double cutting because the turf is very long, out of control. Cutting as high as possible on the first pass will keep the clipping count as small as possible. It is easier on the mower and the likelihood of a reasonable distribution of clippings is better.

On the second pass, with the setting a bit lower, I know that some of the clippings will be fine pieces (the short distance the blade is lowered from the first pass). Spreading the clippings on this second pass will work better because the clippings will be mulched, at least to some extent.

Also, the slightly lower setting for the second pass should leave a better cut in the long turf, leaving a better look.

9. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

Roger, I'm with you on this for the exact same reason, but I may try doing it the other way(raising the deck) this year just to see how it works. Prior to '03, I only used a fixed deck Bobcat w/b. Raising/lowering was a PITA. In '03 I got a Lazer and it's so easy to adjust the height that I can experement.

10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah what roger said.......