1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Double Cut question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by billc, May 13, 2004.

1. billc

billc LawnSite Member

This is our first year in biz, and I have heard conflicting ways of doing a double cut.

First way - cut at a certain height. Then raise the deck 1/4" and cut again, going at right angles to the original cut.

Second way - cut at a certain height. Then LOWER deck 1/4" and cut again going at right angles.

Any ideas?

Also, we are finding we have to cut 2-5 times on some lawns to finally get rid of the clippings. Is this normal? We cut at about 3"

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Cut at desired height and then raise the deck 1/2 inch. And go same direction or cross.
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

cut it once. Keep your blades sharp, and dont waste the time cutting twice. I cant understand how people double cut...OR WHY? i have no problem with dispersing clippings. I just keep the shoot open. I just keep a bungy cord on the side discharge and it disperses very well.

4. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

You must be blessed with some slow growing lawns Trevor.

I can usually tell when making my border pass if I will have to cut twice. When I have to, I usually cut at the same height both times. I don't know, but I have experimented with raising the deck and feel the end product looks better when cut at the same height and criss-crossing (checkerboard effect). This is with a 60" Lazer and double high-lifts.

On edit: Sharp blades are installed everyday and the chute is open.;)

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

DOUBLE BLADES !! Even during the extreme surge growth I've experienced this spring, I have yet to double cut while using double blades. But if you must double cut, RAISE the blades when making the second pass.
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I leave the mower at the same height and cut at a different angle.

If you've got to cut more than 2 times, it's time to get the backpack blower and just blow the clumps apart.
  7. EnvEdge

EnvEdge LawnSite Member

It really depends on the lawn. You can't have a set one way.

Experience will tell you the best thing. But, my advice cut twice in a cross cut, raise the deck or keep it the same. DON'T lower it.

If you are doing more than double cutting then raise the deck to begin with. I'm cutting some lawns on 4", it's been raining like crazy the last two weeks.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I cut at the same height when double cutting. Unless you are doing a really tall yard
  9. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

im cutting at 3.5 and double cutting. criss cross, and at the same hight. never lower it. always raise it if need be.
  10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I try to cut an entire property in 1 pattern then maybe let it dry some while im string trim. Then criss cross my pattern at the same height and it seems to dis sperse the clippings good,
    This year grass has more sap in it then I have seen in a few years, usually about 2 weeks and the worst of it is over but here its been almost the entire season, last 6-8 weeks